What is your favorite tank size

Taylor Blake

The favorite tank I currently have is my 20L. I have a 38 gal but the plants are getting too thick.  My amazon sword sticks out of the water 2 or 3 inches and takes up about a third of the tank. If I get rid of the plant, the tank looks empty, and the heater and filter are too exposed.  I would love to get something a little taller and a little longer and make it the centerpiece.  But I think I’ll stay married 

DE245B63-DD55-4A5E-B62A-1322249D62CE.jpeg

• Haha 3

Feel like the 20 long is the absolute sweet spot on size/conveniece. Big enough to do a lot of stuff while not being intimidating by a massive fish tank. At least for beginners. Your options dramatically increase when you go from the classic 10g to a 20 long. Can keep most fish in it, except the bigger monster ones lol.

But for anything beginner friendly, 20 long is the best IMO. Neons, rasboras, rams, danios, cories, puffers, gouramis, pair of convicts, kribs, apistos.... so many options with 20 long!

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 1

I love the 40 breeder and 75 gallon sizes, I like the footprints for aquascaping, I feel that the 18" front to back is so much better for scaping versus the 12" of a 55 or 40 long. And they aren't too tall that when they are on a typical height stand that I can't reach all the way to the back and bottom of the tank without getting my entire arm up to my armpit into that tank.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

I am curious what everyone's favored tank size. I love the 40 breeder and the 150 fat boy. I think my favorite small tank is the 40 breeder.  I love the 53 I had but it's so hard to get one.

Learn something new on the forum everyday!

• Same dimension base as a 40 breeder, just taller - check!
  • 1970s woodgrain trim - check!

I have a 53 gallon tank! I always wondered what that was (neighbor gave me this tank). Interestingly enough those are also the dimensions for the 1930s Historically Accurate Planted Aquarium so this design must go back to the nether reaches of time as far as aquariums go.

218747101_53Gallon.jpg.0b620e383920a4cf09027d50c99acf11.jpg

Edited by Daniel
* and yes, in my house sometimes half filled large aquariums just sit on the dining room table for 1 - 2 weeks for no apparent reason
  • Like 3

It is interesting how many people love the 20 long. I have a 8 foot long 2 foot wide 31 inch deep 300 gallon it is a beast of a tank and I love it, But for the "big" show tank I like the shape of the 150 fat boy at 4 foot long 2 foot wide and 31 inches deep the look of the tank just makes it seem really impressive for some reason. The photos are of my 150 fat boy when it had my turtle. My 55 before I replaced it for a 90 and the last ones are my 300 gallon

@StephenP2003 I have a 90 rainbow fish show tank but I think if my living space could accommodate for it I would prefer the 180 or the 150 long for those species. 

@Lizzie Block have you seen the Mr aqua 12g or a 33 long if you like the longer tank I think you would dig those two

@Ken Burke what is the dimensions on the 38 gallon?  If it's the 22 inch high tank that sword is impressive! 

@HenryC I both agree and disagree with this. Yes for the the beginner A 20 long is better then a 10 but I think a 40 breeder gives a little bit more room for "mistakes". The 40 also dose feel like a "big tank" So I can understand the intimidation factor but at the same time it is one of its greatest strengths. As a beginner you would be able to have a few more fish then in a 20 which can help to hold interest and increase the activity of the tank and as you grow as a hobbyist you are able to expand to other species that can use that room a little more. I really appreciate your view on the 20 long. My first tank was a 20 long and I always felt I needed more  

@NordernAquariums like I said earlier I have a 90 rainbow tank it is a fun tank and I think I would get the same joy out of a 75 but the 55 just wasn't enough. If I had the space I think the 125 would be better for rainbows. They seem to really like the run space and don't care about how wide the tank is. The only reason for me the 55 wasn't enough was for the hard scape I have some large wood and rock in the 90 and in the 55 I just wasn't enough swimming space.

35A8A4BF-2E1A-42DF-95FB-B3A3B5F4BC93.jpeg

463548F1-50EB-479B-B8DE-AC6623FC1BA0.jpeg

6D3A1388-7944-469F-8778-938190335686.jpeg

D359E4F1-FE24-4323-AE3F-BA0F60C9A4C2.jpeg

2AF68053-57A4-4F2D-9EF9-2C29A2C35EF0.png

I have a terrible different set of tanks of all different sizes... I tend to use the size for the inhabitants I need.  

However, I do find the 10's and 20's great for that small single purpose tank.. the 40's are an excellent size for most things.. I really love the 3' x 1.5' of it.. I'd probably love the 65 as thats same, just taller.  The 75 is good but it is 4'... 

I think the 55 is kinda useless lol.  There are certain fish it can do, but it just seems awkward.  

I do love my 210 gallon tho... 🙂  

my favorites go from 20L (more nano style), 40b (my favorite), 75g, and then 120g. i do really enjoy the 120g for the depth, it suits a lot of fish well while still taking up mostly what a 75g would take up but it is damn hard to aquascape, all big tanks are. i do really enjoy rimless cubes too, from nano all the way up to large sizes, i think cubes give very interesting dimensions for scaping. 

2 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

It is interesting how many people love the 20 long. I have a 8 foot long 2 foot wide 31 inch deep 300 gallon it is a beast of a tank and I love it, But for the "big" show tank I like the shape of the 150 fat boy at 4 foot long 2 foot wide and 31 inches deep the look of the tank just makes it seem really impressive for some reason. The photos are of my 150 fat boy when it had my turtle. My 55 before I replaced it for a 90 and the last ones are my 300 gallon

@StephenP2003 I have a 90 rainbow fish show tank but I think if my living space could accommodate for it I would prefer the 180 or the 150 long for those species. 

@Lizzie Block have you seen the Mr aqua 12g or a 33 long if you like the longer tank I think you would dig those two

@Ken Burke what is the dimensions on the 38 gallon?  If it's the 22 inch high tank that sword is impressive! 

@HenryC I both agree and disagree with this. Yes for the the beginner A 20 long is better then a 10 but I think a 40 breeder gives a little bit more room for "mistakes". The 40 also dose feel like a "big tank" So I can understand the intimidation factor but at the same time it is one of its greatest strengths. As a beginner you would be able to have a few more fish then in a 20 which can help to hold interest and increase the activity of the tank and as you grow as a hobbyist you are able to expand to other species that can use that room a little more. I really appreciate your view on the 20 long. My first tank was a 20 long and I always felt I needed more  

@NordernAquariums like I said earlier I have a 90 rainbow tank it is a fun tank and I think I would get the same joy out of a 75 but the 55 just wasn't enough. If I had the space I think the 125 would be better for rainbows. They seem to really like the run space and don't care about how wide the tank is. The only reason for me the 55 wasn't enough was for the hard scape I have some large wood and rock in the 90 and in the 55 I just wasn't enough swimming space.

35A8A4BF-2E1A-42DF-95FB-B3A3B5F4BC93.jpeg

463548F1-50EB-479B-B8DE-AC6623FC1BA0.jpeg

6D3A1388-7944-469F-8778-938190335686.jpeg

D359E4F1-FE24-4323-AE3F-BA0F60C9A4C2.jpeg

2AF68053-57A4-4F2D-9EF9-2C29A2C35EF0.png

Loving that drift wood!  
the 38 is 36”x12. 19” tall. The sword is looking a little ragged, maybe time for some Easy Green

image.jpg

• Like 1

I have 11 ten gallons and I know they are small, but im working with the space thats in my bedroom.I feel like the ten gallon is an underated size, especially on more experienced hobbyst. Im breeding GBR,GR,EBR,and BRs. I also have done apistos,red eye tetras,and white clouds. I do have 4 29s that i use for growout, so i would have to go with a ten as my fav size as of now.

• Like 2