Aquariums in Movies and Television

Fish Folk

On 12/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, Streetwise said:

Are there other threads on this topic? Should we merge for a TV/film aquarium thread?

Yes! There are. I’ve started at least two others, and I think there was one that @Daniel had started — at least, he posted a bunch of fascinating film / aquatics references.

• Like 1

The reality show Big Brother used to have fish tanks that would be shown when they needed to black out the live feeds for a while. They would kill lots of fish over the course of the season. They've used peacock bass, koi, marine fish, and other fish. They have an outside contractor who maintains the tank and the houseguests merely have to feed the fish, but they still manage to kill quite a few over the course of the season. 

In the earlier seasons they'd show the front of the house when they needed to black things out. That became known as FOTH among live feed watchers. Then they switched to the fish tanks and in the updates you'd see FISH mentioned whenever the feeds went down. These days they switch to kennel cam showing kittens and dogs up for adoption. This last season there was no fish tank likely due to covid. In season nine they switched things up with a pair of guinea pigs, but went back to fish afterward.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:06 AM, sudofish said:

I remember they had an Oscar in this tank once. I always liked seeing him feed the fish though.

Feeding-Fish-FredRogersCompany.jpg&f=1&n

This was always one of my favorite stories about Mister Rogers:

Mister Rogers would narrate himself feeding the fish each episode with 'I’m feeding the fish' because of a letter he received from a young blind girl who was worried the fish were hungry. 

The fish story appears in "Dear Mister Rogers, Does it Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?" a collection of letters received by Rogers from children throughout his career, and his replies. The book reads:

"One girl and her family wrote to tell us there was a special reason why she wanted me to talk about feeding the fish each day."

"Dear Mister Rogers, Please say when you are feeding your fish, because I worry about them. I can’t see if you are feeding them, so please say you are feeding them out loud. Katie, age 5."

"(Father’s note: Katie is blind, and she does cry if you don’t say that you have fed the fish.)"

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 12/15/2021 at 9:03 AM, MickS77 said:

The aquarium in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is on screen a few times during the movie.

image.png.17145bc230684a5b420d6279adb2adae.png

Came in to post this. I can totally picture Clark Griswald doing tank maintenance. "Sunday afternoon water change, Russ, let's do it! Rusty? Audrey? Anybody?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 12/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, Siett88 said:

Came in to post this. I can totally picture Clark Griswald doing tank maintenance. "Sunday afternoon water change, Russ, let's do it! Rusty? Audrey? Anybody?"

Thank goodness they didn’t do this. They would have broken every tank for disaster comedy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Caught sight of two random tanks. One in the "fallout zone" as several main characters from Godzilla (2014) return home to sight of a nuclear meltdown. This tank may have been an insinuation of "mothra" as the label on the side says...

2122551124_ScreenShot2021-12-24at10_57_30PM.png.73857360e53a427cc0203507a2a05c40.png

Then there was a funny aquarium set up in the waiting room for Gen Z Hospital when Elon Musk hosted SNL. Looks like maybe a 55 gal? There appeared to be Cichlids in it... or something similar... not positive...

913484626_ScreenShot2021-12-24at10_55_37PM.png.b3e9ef3d2a69a99f2dc5c9a648d67b4e.png

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1