Best light to use for a planted aquarium

Hi Everyone,

I need to have a good light for my 35 gallon tank while all the available lights in my country are using white LEDs, so I am going to a DIY light and was wondering which LEDs should I use, should I go for White + Warm (Yellow) + Blue or White + Red + Blue + Green or should I use some other combination?

Thanks

Edited by Ayman Roshdy

What kind of lighting do you have access to? Are we talking LED bulbs?  What socket? Or the LED strips? And what dimensions are your 35 gallon tank as I haven't seen that one. Also what kind of plants do you want to grow? If it's going to be low light plants then obviously that makes it a lot easier.

Here's a good video @Cory did on lighting:

Edited by sudofish
  • Like 1

Thanks, will check Cory's video

To answer your questions, my tank is 80 x 40 x 40 cm and I was thinking of using LED bulbs, whatever socket available, probably I will have access to all the needed components

For the plants, I was thinking of low maintenance plants but probably will need 1 or 2 medium maintenance which would have orange or red colors as I don't want everything to be just green inside the tank

Nothing scientific here, so for what it is worth, my 29 gallon has "(2) puck style LED work lights.  each is 1000 lumen and 4000 k (yellow)  They should be adequate to grow any of the low- med. light plants. Adding a single 65 watt 800 lumen 6000k (daylight) white LED has improved the overall appearance, and improved plant growth.  This would be the standard screw in bulb found in a lamp.  My future DIYs will be the daylight LEDs

• Like 1