What can you tell me about this mystery slime?

This is my brand new 11.3g AIO cube, set up for a little over two days now. This is the first evidence I've seen of any sort of biofilm or bacteria and I'm curious if someone more knowledgeable than me could tell me more about what I'm looking at. There are a few snails in here for establishing purposes, and I've been feeding them small bits of repashy omnivore. I squeezed a cycled sponge in the tank and the plants were from an established system, so it should be at least seeded. 

20210529_132349.jpg

20210529_132340.jpg

Just now, Fish Folk said:

Looks like rotten seafood. Any chance that’s deshelled, decaying snail body? How’s it smell? If you remove it all, does it reappear?

It could be a dead snail, however it’s quite large and all the snails I put in there were pretty tiny, about the size of the top of a cotton bud (q-tip). It does not smell, and I have not attempted to remove it yet because I want to see what happens to it over the next few days. I will post updates if there are any changes! (I got a new macro lens for my phone and I’m looking for every excuse to use it 😅)

I really wish I had a microscope to look more closely at the structure. Do you think I should remove it and see if it returns?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nirvanaquatics said:

It could be a dead snail, however it’s quite large and all the snails I put in there were pretty tiny, about the size of the top of a cotton bud (q-tip). It does not smell, and I have not attempted to remove it yet because I want to see what happens to it over the next few days. I will post updates if there are any changes! (I got a new macro lens for my phone and I’m looking for every excuse to use it 😅)

I really wish I had a microscope to look more closely at the structure. Do you think I should remove it and see if it returns?

Well, if nothing is much at risk, experiment away! 

• Like 1