Juvenile Angelfish Swimming Issue

Stash Beardsley

This is my first batch of Angelfish. Some are moving around the tank with ease. Some are upright and staying on the bottom. Some are on their sides and getting around. About dime sizeish. They all eat and appear healthy other than not staying upright or swimming. Does anyone that has bred angels have any advice or know what this is? I thought maybe they eat so much food they can't stay upright or get off the bottom of the tank?

Here's the link.

Edited by Stash Beardsley

Your link simply goes to your channel, not a specific video... can you provide the link to the specific video, please?

It sounds like a good portion of the fry have been born with swim bladder deformities. These deformed fry are sometimes called “belly sliders” because they cannot get up off the floor of the aquarium. The cause could be genetic, it also could be environmental as they developed in the early stages. Unfortunately swim bladder issues this early in the life stage will always be chronic and is usually fatal. It can also accompany other deformities that will shorten the life of the fish. Since its your first batch, just cull the fry that aren’t totally healthy and swimming properly. If this kind of thing continues to happen with this specific pair, it might be worth looking at new genetics to prevent more batches of sickly fry. Sorry you’re dealing with this, it’s never fun to have a large portion of a hatch come out wonky. 

16 hours ago, Stash Beardsley said:

Just read a compelling article on a different forum. Pretty much the swim bladders aren't able to operate normally as fry due to high pH and water hardness. Has anyone had experience with this? I have higher pH water and hardness.

Maybe?  I do as well (high ph/hardness).