Algae Suggestions - 10 gallon

Kimberly P

Good Morning!  I have a 10 gallon planted tank at work.  A betta, two black skirt tetras, one mystery snail & 1 nerite snail.

I bought some Java ferns when I started the tank a couple months ago, but there really isn't any new growth & they are covered in this algae.  I'm unable to gently rub is off.  I've played with my light timing from 6-12 hours (it's a fixed timer 3, 6, 12).

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best algae eater to help with this.  Many I see are only be good in bigger tanks.  Do you have any suggestions for helpers?  Also what should I do with the plants?

Tank 2.jpg

Tank 3.jpg

Tank 1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimberly P said:

Good Morning!  I have a 10 gallon planted tank at work.  A betta, two black skirt tetras, one mystery snail & 1 nerite snail.

I bought some Java ferns when I started the tank a couple months ago, but there really isn't any new growth & they are covered in this algae.  I'm unable to gently rub is off.  I've played with my light timing from 6-12 hours (it's a fixed timer 3, 6, 12).

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best algae eater to help with this.  Many I see are only be good in bigger tanks.  Do you have any suggestions for helpers?  Also what should I do with the plants?

Tank 2.jpg

Tank 3.jpg

Tank 1.jpg

Hello! Thinking this through with you . . . maybe you planted your Java Fern rhizomes down in the gravel. Java Ferns have this dark brown, woody, stick-like root portion called a rhizome. They should not be planted down deep in your substrate, or the plant will die. This may be what's going on. Java Ferns should just be rested on the bottom, maybe slightly held in place along the edge of a rock or crevice.

I recommend looking over the chart attached below of common plant deficiencies, and how that manifests on certain plants. 

E2432839-AF74-4618-A8CE-3489E2D53321.jpeg.62c5629b3ef7ce96155a457a162111af.jpeg

Here's a classic video from Cory that covers a lot of bases:

Now, if it IS algae, I recommend studying this > algae guide posted by Green Aqua.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Hello! Thinking this through with you . . . maybe you planted your Java Fern rhizomes down in the gravel. Java Ferns have this dark brown, woody, stick-like root portion called a rhizome. They should not be planted down deep in your substrate, or the plant will die. This may be what's going on. Java Ferns should just be rested on the bottom, maybe slightly held in place along the edge of a rock or crevice.

When I first got the plants, I didn't know about the rhizomes and I did plant it down in the gravel.  I moved them up, but they were already looking bad.  They've been out of the gravel for 2-3 weeks now - do you think they will recover?  They seem to be getting worse.  On one of them, I did snip the old, brown covered leaves leaving the stem & rhizome - but there is no regrowth.  

I have some stem plants that are doing ok - growing new leaves.  I've trimmed them and planted the shoots.    

I'm thinking I messed them up when I first got them & I should maybe get some new ones.  Would you keep them?

5 minutes ago, sudofish said:

I might keep them but I would trim the bad leaves and hope for new growth. I would probably just get a new plant tbh and hope the other one recovers as well. Chalk it up to a learning experience basically. When I first set up my tank I killed water sprite somehow.

Yep. Agreed^

Oh boy, I’m with you! I have the worst luck with Java Fern. Almost every one I’ve bought has gotten brown or had some sort of problem. My solution has been to clip off the brown leaves and dose with Easy Green and a Potassium/Iron supplement. Other than that it’s just  time since they grow so slowly. 

This fern turned brown and looked terrible soon after I bought it, but it slowly bounced back and now I’m actually proud of it. 

A3337C10-0465-44C6-8823-EC7CCF044A11.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sudofish said:

I might keep them but I would trim the bad leaves and hope for new growth. I would probably just get a new plant tbh and hope the other one recovers as well. Chalk it up to a learning experience basically. When I first set up my tank I killed water sprite somehow.

I agree, I think they’ll pull through but I’d probably get a new one in the meantime. 
The potted ones sold by Aquarium Coop usually have 2-3 plants in each pot. 
You might also want some fast growing stem plants to help outperform  the algae. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

dont trim leaves on a java fern's unless they are physically rotting.  when they turn brown and spotty is when they typically offshoot new plants. imo, you are probably okay with your lighting, but could use some type of fertilizer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

This fern turned brown and looked terrible soon after I bought it, but it slowly bounced back and now I’m actually proud of it. 

A3337C10-0465-44C6-8823-EC7CCF044A11.jpeg

It looks great!  I should take some better before shots just in case it rebounds!

• Thanks 1

The only way i get java to grow is attaching it to the glass above the gravel with airline suction cups then it goes wild. Any other way for me they die no matter what i do. Here id a pic of one in my community tank and one in my fry tank so you can see ehat i mean

50CD816E-716F-4A7C-B930-1FC8F9DC404C.jpeg

483F611C-FA9A-4873-A2B4-01AEDB67F220.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guppysnail said:

The only way i get java to grow is attaching it to the glass above the gravel with airline suction cups then it goes wild. Any other way for me they die no matter what i do. Here id a pic of one in my community tank and one in my fry tank so you can see ehat i mean

That's an interesting idea....  I think I will try that!