Water temperature for plants

So I'm looking to start planting my tank but I can't seem to find any info on the site here about water temperature requirements for these plants. I have an axolotl tank, so my requirements are cold water (tank is always between 60-62°F), and very low light. The axolotls do not like bright lights at all so I was hoping for something that could do okay with just the light that comes in through the window near the tank and not have to get a grow light and upset the axies. All suggestions and info appreciated. Thanks guys.

Edit: It's a 40 gallon tank. I forgot to mention before.

Edited by ggfacepalm
Forgot info

The easiest plant you're going to find for an axie tank is java moss. It will tolerate temps down to 59°f, though it will grow more slowly at lower temperatures. It's easy to find, easy to care for, and is very attractive. Java ferns and anubias also may work, but they may not. Java ferns can be finicky, I've always had trouble with them, at least. It might look pretty cool if you can get an entire carpet of Java Moss going. It'll help suck up nitrates, too. To propagate more moss to make an entire tanks worth,  try cutting up pieces of the moss and sticking the pieces in some jars in a window with a bit of air and a few drops of easy green. I also cultured some daphnia by accident that way, my fish loved it! 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Nirvanaquatics said:

The easiest plant you're going to find for an axie tank is java moss. It will tolerate temps down to 59°f, though it will grow more slowly at lower temperatures. It's easy to find, easy to care for, and is very attractive. Java ferns and anubias also may work, but they may not. Java ferns can be finicky, I've always had trouble with them, at least. It might look pretty cool if you can get an entire carpet of Java Moss going. It'll help suck up nitrates, too. To propagate more moss to make an entire tanks worth,  try cutting up pieces of the moss and sticking the pieces in some jars in a window with a bit of air and a few drops of easy green. I also cultured some daphnia by accident that way, my fish loved it! 

Thank you! Do you know if java moss can grow on sand or if I'll need something different?

Just now, ggfacepalm said:

Thank you! Do you know if java moss can grow on sand or if I'll need something different?

Usually java moss mats come as little plastic mesh pieces with the moss sandwiched inside them, so you could literally just toss the mat on top of the sand as is and leave it. It'll expand out over time, but you can also trim it when it gets long and make your own to get the carpeted look a little faster. I'll link you to a diy version. Ideally, the moss would be on a bare bottom tank, but I don't see why it would hurt to just lay it on top of the sand.

I can do bare bottom. That's how the tank is right now because one of my axies is still a juvenile and most substrates are too dangerous for him. I was going to do sand once he's older but if the moss does well on bare tanks I'm perfectly fine with that. Thank you so much for all your help.

Most plants will do fine at lower temps. Many aquarium plants are native to the US and actually prefer cooler temps than we keep them at (we heat tanks mostly for the fish not the plants). Non US natives should also do fine at lower temps their growth will probably just be slowed. 

• 1 month later...

I guess my question, without starting another thread with the same title, would be:

How important is temperature for plants?  Can I grow Scarlet Temple in 83-84 degrees?

I'm asking because I keep failing.  I've tried Scarlet Temple 3 times now.  I am looking at another site that actually has recommended temperatures, and wondering why they're not listed on ACO's web site.

Why am I failing?  I am using easy green 1 pump per 10 gallon on a very sparsely planted tank.  My nitrates, depending on tank, range from 50-150 (Co-Op strips), the hardness is 75 or greater.

They are dying within a few weeks.  The bottom of the stems just melt along with the rest of the leaves.

Is temperature a factor?

Is the fact that ACO grows with CO2 and I am not (is it withdraw)?

Frustrated and feeling like a failure.

IMG_20210706_173104512.jpg

On 7/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, Lefty469 said:

I guess my question, without starting another thread with the same title, would be:

How important is temperature for plants?  Can I grow Scarlet Temple in 83-84 degrees?

I'm asking because I keep failing.  I've tried Scarlet Temple 3 times now.  I am looking at another site that actually has recommended temperatures, and wondering why they're not listed on ACO's web site.

Why am I failing?  I am using easy green 1 pump per 10 gallon on a very sparsely planted tank.  My nitrates, depending on tank, range from 50-150 (Co-Op strips), the hardness is 75 or greater.

They are dying within a few weeks.  The bottom of the stems just melt along with the rest of the leaves.

Is temperature a factor?

Is the fact that ACO grows with CO2 and I am not (is it withdraw)?

Frustrated and feeling like a failure.

IMG_20210706_173104512.jpg

I am also trying ST in my high tech discus tank for the 3rd time. I have kept it alive the longest for me so far but it is not thriving. I also have crazy hard water and I don't think it likes that.

Have you tried it in the pot with a root tab, just sitting on the substrate? I let mine convert for a week and after it showed improvement I planted.