Betta struggling to swim up

Raising-Sirens

I know, I should never go to pet smart or petco for fish or fish related products...I went in for dog food, saw a sick betta...couldn’t leave her. She is struggling to swim up to surface. I have her in a hospital tub,80 deg., on day two of no food. Because she is brand new to me, and possibly has swim bladder I didn’t want to try meds or salt bath yet...could it be something else? Should I just wait another day and then do a blanched pea, or should I start a different treatment now? I don’t want to wait too long and miss a window of helping her the proper way in the proper amount of time.  Any additional advice on what it may be, or if I could do anything else to help would be greatly appreciated! 

5 minutes ago, Raising-Sirens said:

I know, I should never go to pet smart or petco for fish or fish related products...I went in for dog food, saw a sick betta...couldn’t leave her. She is struggling to swim up to surface. I have her in a hospital tub,80 deg., on day two of no food. Because she is brand new to me, and possibly has swim bladder I didn’t want to try meds or salt bath yet...could it be something else? Should I just wait another day and then do a blanched pea, or should I start a different treatment now? I don’t want to wait too long and miss a window of helping her the proper way in the proper amount of time.  Any additional advice on what it may be, or if I could do anything else to help would be greatly appreciated! 

Sorry to hear. Lower water level to 4-5 inches deep (no deeper). She needs to be able to try to gulp air through her labyrinth. Attach photos or video if you can. Try lightly feeding... no more than a bite or two at a time. 

It won’t let me add a video. She is not pineconning or any other dropsy symptoms. She does not seem to have a visible fungal or bacterial infection. Her stomach seems a little swollen, she is very bottom heavy and just struggling to swim up. I’m afraid to feed her because everything I have read so far suggests swim bladder/constatation 

image.jpg

image.jpg

It could be swim bladder as you have not fed for a couple of days i would not feed for a 2more days and then feed peas add epsom 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  as epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants can help relieve pressure or help with constipation

First off, I think you should be commended for taking this fish home, to hopefully give her a better life. Most folks pick the best looking fish, and you picked the worst, in hopes of turning things around. Hats off to ya.

Secondly, I do think a 15 minute epsom salt bath would be a good idea. Just a small amount, and see if you can observe any change during the bath.

Also, I think a minimal amount of aquarium salt can be helpful full-time (or at least for the time being) in the tank/tub.

• Like 1

Ok. Thank you! I tried a pea and it did not get better. If the salt bath does not help then I think it may be ether a genetic deformity or something else going on. She otherwise seems pretty healthy. Just seems heavy and like she struggles to swim up. I will try the salt bath now and keep You updated. If that doesn’t work, any other tips?  

Alright, I tried the pea, tried the salt bath, and she still has not changed. Could this be a birth defect? I have hardly fed her at all, I think she pooped a little. Do I do the pea thing again? Or should I try feeding her something more? I’m at a loss.