Worried about overnight lows in new mini ponds

redmare

I have some new mini ponds that I just put fish in yesterday- a 110 gallon with sunset variatus platies and a 20 mini with endlers. So far they're shy but doing well. I just saw that there's gonna be an overnight low of 6C (42F) and then tomorrow will only be a high of 11C (51F). Should I worry? What's my best plan of action?

Just now, redmare said:
I have some new mini ponds that I just put fish in yesterday- a 110 gallon with sunset variatus platies and a 20 mini with endlers. So far they're shy but doing well. I just saw that there's gonna be an overnight low of 6C (42F) and then tomorrow will only be a high of 11C (51F). Should I worry? What's my best plan of action?

That’s pretty cold. Right now, we have swings here in western MD between 65-degrees F and 95-degrees F. (Full transparency) we’ve cooked a few, and chilled others. But in the whole, those that live are very strong. I’d wait until temp swings are warmer. Put a heater in the tubs for awhile.

Id be worried about the 20g, but the 110 should be fine if its only 1 cold day especially because platies normally are more cold resistant then endlers

I, like you, am a summer tubber! I highly recommend Dr. Ted Coletti's Tub Pond Handbook, the third edition just came out with more tips and tricks, its basically the bible of tub ponds, a must have! I got mine for 13 bucks so pretty cheap. 

I am in zone 6, which has the official start of tropical fish of june 15th. but I keep goldfish which I put out around april 15th. 

The last time I moved, I had a fish, an Australian Rainbow, that I was keeping outside in a tub until I could get a tank set up inside. Autumn had just arrived, and when some cool nights hit, I would fill a plastic 2-liter soft drink bottle with hot water, cap it, and then place it in the tub. That can keep the water temperature from dropping as much, and the fish will usually hover near it for warmth too. On especially cool nights, I would do 2 bottles and repeat the process in the middle of the night. Anyway, I managed to keep that fish alive until I got him moved inside, where he lived for several years afterward.

Oh, and if you can cover your tub during the night with something like a sturdy piece of flat cardboard (or something similar), it'll help hold the heat in and keep the temperature from dropping as much too.

Edited by Carolina Guy

1 hour ago, Carolina Guy said:

The last time I moved, I had a fish, an Australian Rainbow, that I was keeping outside in a tub until I could get a tank set up inside. Autumn had just arrived, and when some cool nights hit, I would fill a plastic 2-liter soft drink bottle with hot water, cap it, and then place it in the tub. That can keep the water temperature from dropping as much, and the fish will usually hover near it for warmth too. On especially cool nights, I would do 2 bottles and repeat the process in the middle of the night. Anyway, I managed to keep that fish alive until I got him moved inside, where he lived for several years afterward.

Oh, and if you can cover your tub during the night with something like a sturdy piece of flat cardboard (or something similar), it'll help hold the heat in and keep the temperature from dropping as much too.

i think this is an excellent short term plan, especially if you dont have a way to run a heater on cooler days/nights.

Thanks so much, everyone! I ended up taking one of the two heaters out of my oscar's tank and the heater out of my cool tank in the house that only gets a few degrees above room temp and moving them out to the ponds. I'm so glad I did, since the temp dropped right to zero and snowed!! The fish are just fine this morning 🙂