(SOS) New Tetra Keeper Here

I am seeking some guidance on tetras! 

I recently purchased my first group of tetras after watching @Cory's videos with Silvertips! I fell in love with their look and their interactive behavior. I have 6 X-Ray tetra and 7 Silvertip tetras in my 40 breeder. I have noticed that two of the male Silvertips seem to bully a bit. I haven't seen any fin nipping or anything like that but they do a lot of chasing, darting at others and even seem to corral the group to one side of the tank. I have also seen two males display almost sparing behavior where they will circle each other in a tight circle and dart at the other. 

What can I do to help curb this behavior? Or is it common? Some possibilities I thought of was maybe larger school? Or more females? 

I am worried about some of them getting stressed and in-turn getting sick from being in this environment.

I appreciate any advice you can give! Thanks! 

*Additional Potentially Helpful info

Temperature 77.2, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, GH very hard, KH 160ppm, 40 breeder with two medium Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters. I feed a mix/rotation of Hikari Vibrabites, Xtreme Spirulina flake, Hikari micro wafers, micro pellets, Tetra color flake and Hikari freeze dried bloodworms

Definitely normal behavior in my tank full of neon tetras. It's always struck me as playful. In my tank it's not constant; they usually "get the zoomies" after mealtime and I've never seen anyone actually hurt anyone else. I don't have experience with those specific tetra types and maybe they are a little more aggressive than the neons in which case, as someone mentioned above, they may settle down a bit once they've established a pecking order. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dkshadowwolf said:

I agree with  all the previous post, but you could add a few more fish to each school if you  are worried about aggression. The more individuals you have the more impressive schooling behavior you will have as well.

Completely agree with this. I'm actually looking forward to our two Diamond Tetra fry joining the school, it might help our alpha male to calm his butt down. He's in breeding mode at least once per week, it feels like!

• Like 1

I so appreciate all of your feedback! I would be lost without this forum! 

I am going to get a couple more to add to the school when I purchased the rest of the plants that I’d like to buy to help break up some site lines too! 

So in terms of “pecking order” does that eventually work itself out? (They’ve been in this tank together for about 10 days) I feel bad that this boy is herding them in the corner like cattle! Lol 

I’ll try to post some footage of what I’m seeing.
*in the gif you see one leave the corner & he chases after him & brings him back. Typically he has them wrangles even more*

I feel like I sound so silly but hey! We are all fish people here hhaha

Thanks again everyone! 

E97A1A14-44FB-44DA-8747-694F487A9793.gif

4 minutes ago, FreshwaterFacet said:

I so appreciate all of your feedback! I would be lost without this forum! 

I am going to get a couple more to add to the school when I purchased the rest of the plants that I’d like to buy to help break up some site lines too! 

So in terms of “pecking order” does that eventually work itself out? (They’ve been in this tank together for about 10 days) I feel bad that this boy is herding them in the corner like cattle! Lol 

I’ll try to post some footage of what I’m seeing.
*in the gif you see one leave the corner & he chases after him & brings him back. Typically he has them wrangles even more*

I feel like I sound so silly but hey! We are all fish people here hhaha

Thanks again everyone! 

E97A1A14-44FB-44DA-8747-694F487A9793.gif

I'm going to firmly say 'somewhat,' lol! I have had my diamond tetras for about 3 months, and Alpha Male has claimed one side of the tank as breeding grounds. The fish do swim all over sometimes, but when they 'chill out' it's usually on the other side (including Alpha Male). It depends on the time of day and whether Alpha Male is in the breeding mood. He usually allows the female(s) he's courting into the area but often chases away his competing males.

Tetras are just like this. It's interesting to watch and usually limited to within the tetra group. I've never seen my tetras bother anything else in the tank with this behavior.

• Like 1

Thank you so much!! “I’m going to firmly say somewhat?” Hahahaha Good to know! 

I took these two photos too. One male and sometimes this other sit back and watch their “pack” in the corner after they’ve pushed them there. 

I’ll share an update once I get more plants and add to the school! Thanks!!

E9DD7EC5-5EFF-44CD-B84F-9B6156FDDC75.jpeg.05a9189b06fc674daedbaa95a580b8ec.jpeg

4C0D9F5D-C07E-41F4-8722-D7E88CC5498C.jpeg.fb0b79d828a3e157426dad1f9c2c8834.jpeg

3 hours ago, laritheloud said:

I'm going to firmly say 'somewhat,' lol! I have had my diamond tetras for about 3 months, and Alpha Male has claimed one side of the tank as breeding grounds. The fish do swim all over sometimes, but when they 'chill out' it's usually on the other side (including Alpha Male). It depends on the time of day and whether Alpha Male is in the breeding mood. He usually allows the female(s) he's courting into the area but often chases away his competing males.

Tetras are just like this. It's interesting to watch and usually limited to within the tetra group. I've never seen my tetras bother anything else in the tank with this behavior.

Edited by FreshwaterFacet