Ethan's Aquarium Journey

Having seen some other people start threads covering their nerm projects as a whole, I figured I might start one as well. From this thread I will keep those who want to follow my overall progress updated. I'll start by giving an intro to those who do not know me yet: https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/profile/2850-corydorasethan/?tab=field_core_pfield_1

Okay so onto my projects. I currently have two aquariums. Here's a little more on them...

The first is my pride and joy, the 29 gallon planted community. This is my main "display" tank and houses large numbers of livebearers and catfish.

292668108_29GallonPlantedJungleCommunity2-27-2021.JPG.595d32938f27cf8213981491aff41cd7.JPG

My next tank is a 10 gallon aquarium used for housing more livebearers, a gourami, snails, and another flying fox. I have not posted a thread yet on this one, but I plan to do so in the future. It still needs some work:

1235527192_10GallonGuppyBreedingSetup.JPG.d561153ec4195fb1a23b9144194cc77f.JPG

So yeah there is a bit on my aquariums. I'll make sure to update this thread weekly at least.

Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Just now, CorydorasEthan said:

I am currently working on 1) planting my 10 gallon aquarium and 2) getting rid of a bunch of guppies (I have way too many)!

do you have a specific strain? or mutts? what kind of plants are keeping?

1 minute ago, quirkylemon103 said:

do you have a specific strain? or mutts? what kind of plants are keeping?

Okay so here's the story...

I originally had two male endlers which I upgraded to the 29 gallon tank. When I got a pleco for the tank, a tiny guppy fry somehow got into the bag, and so we added it to the tank as well. Now she looks like this:

20201225_100212.jpg.095ca2b89f33c910d011ac231d039acc.jpg

She and the endlers had babies together, and eventually, there came to be multiple different colorations. I wouldn't call them strains yet, only mutts.

First are these yellow, leopard/cobra guppies. These in particular seem to have swordtail-like extensions on their tail fins. Still others have huge, completely black fan tails. 

20210109_224946.jpg.9b931c014c1de69e3a554eaab9ba89e6.jpg

Next are these bright coral-red guppies:

20210110_173424.jpg.33f4074039f2080f91e5055230ca039d.jpg

The females of both types are as big as guppy females, and pretty much look the same as their mother, with either pink, purple, yellow, or black tails. Some even have a blue that glows in the sunlight, which is pretty cool.

Okay onto the plants. I have some water sprite that has reproduced in the 29 gallon, so I am adding some to the 10 gallon. Same goes for my Java fern. Additionally, I got some water lettuce or something from the store and put some in there, and now it is thriving. I can't say the same about my 29 gallon though. A few pieces of duckweed got in as well and have taken over the tank in there!

• Like 2

Just now, CorydorasEthan said:

Okay so here's the story...

I originally had two male endlers which I upgraded to the 29 gallon tank. When I got a pleco for the tank, a tiny guppy fry somehow got into the bag, and so we added it to the tank as well. Now she looks like this:

20201225_100212.jpg.095ca2b89f33c910d011ac231d039acc.jpg

She and the endlers had babies together, and eventually, there came to be multiple different colorations. I wouldn't call them strains yet, only mutts.

First are these yellow, leopard/cobra guppies. These in particular seem to have swordtail-like extensions on their tail fins. Still others have huge, completely black fan tails. 

20210109_224946.jpg.9b931c014c1de69e3a554eaab9ba89e6.jpg

Next are these bright coral-red guppies:

20210110_173424.jpg.33f4074039f2080f91e5055230ca039d.jpg

The females of both types are as big as guppy females, and pretty much look the same as their mother, with either pink, purple, yellow, or black tails. Some even have a blue that glows in the sunlight, which is pretty cool.

Okay onto the plants. I have some water sprite that has reproduced in the 29 gallon, so I am adding some to the 10 gallon. Same goes for my Java fern. Additionally, I got some water lettuce or something from the store and put some in there, and now it is thriving. I can't say the same about my 29 gallon though. A few pieces of duckweed got in as well and have taken over the tank in there!

It's crazy that a guppy fry survived then bred with the endler's.

oh no, hopefully you can get the duckweed out

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm back!

The reason I haven't posted in a while is kind of complicated...

I am taking a PE course over this summer, and we happened to be playing handball-baseball (some kind of hybrid sport) one day. To keep things short, I ran into the wall at full speed (aimed for the crash-pad but had to dodge). I ended up fracturing my elbows and bruising my wrists, so I have a sling on each arm. It has been kind of hard to move my arms (and consequently, type) lately. Thankfully, they are supposed to be healed very soon.

So anyway, I will began posting again. I have some updates on my tanks and fish lately, so be sure to check those out on their respective threads if you want.

Thanks!

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Sad 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

Guppies woohoo they are beautiful! .......is that seriously a corydora HAMMOCK? That is awesome unless it’s just my bad eyes. 

You are blind as a bat old woman that’s the bag they came in...sorry but it would have been a cool idea!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

Guppies woohoo they are beautiful! .......

Thanks!

On 6/11/2021 at 5:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

You are blind as a bat old woman that’s the bag they came in...sorry but it would have been a cool idea!

Oh okay yeah that's the bag! But now that you mention it, a hammock for cories would definitely not be a bad idea! I might start experimenting with that!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, CorydorasEthan said:

Hey guys! I'm back!

The reason I haven't posted in a while is kind of complicated...

I am taking a PE course over this summer, and we happened to be playing handball-baseball (some kind of hybrid sport) one day. To keep things short, I ran into the wall at full speed (aimed for the crash-pad but had to dodge). I ended up fracturing my elbows and bruising my wrists, so I have a sling on each arm. It has been kind of hard to move my arms (and consequently, type) lately. Thankfully, they are supposed to be healed very soon.

So anyway, I will began posting again. I have some updates on my tanks and fish lately, so be sure to check those out on their respective threads if you want.

Thanks!

are you ok now? I'm glad you are back

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, quirkylemon103 said:

thats good, any new plans? 

Yep! I plan on getting rid of a few more guppies (they are still very numerous) first of all. Then, I have to figure out a plan for my Siamese flying foxes and pearl gourami, as they just don't fit in my setups anymore. I'll be posting a thread on this shortly. Then, I plan on semi-restocking the aquariums. I want to try out tetras or rasboras or something, maybe platies. And definitely more pygmy cories too.

As for other long-terms plans with my hobby as a whole, I have yet to decide on something. I'll make sure to keep you'll updated when I do find something!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 9:36 PM, James Black said:

Hey @CorydorasEthan!

Are you out of your sling yet? I'm glad your arm is okay!

Any updates for us? How did getting rid of the guppies and deciding a plan for your gourami and flying foxes go?

Hey there again!

I haven't been able to get on here for a while, so I apologize for the late response. No updates on the tanks as of yet, except that everyone is doing fine! I have not gotten rid of the gourami nor the flying foxes yet, as it seems that simply time has cured their behavior. Once they got territorial things sorted out, they seem a lot more calm to each other and the other fish as well.

Thanks for asking!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 9:36 PM, James Black said:

How did getting rid of the guppies and deciding a plan for your gourami and flying foxes go?

After careful consideration, I moved the pearl gourami to the 29 gallon. To my surprise, it worked quite well, and he hasn't been bothering the other fish yet. He is so big now that the endlers are a bit frightened by him, and swim away when he comes near. I left the flying fox in the 10 gallon for now, since he is still small. Now he doesn't have to worry about competition with the gourami, but he absolutely hates the adult guppies, so I will probably just donate him to my LFS soon.

The gourami with some cories during feeding (not nipping, yeah!).

DSC_9869.JPG.ecbf885e869097090cc23b2b1e0edb4d.JPG

It's nice finally being able to watch him coexist peacefully! (Sorry for the blur on the cories the camera doesn't seem to be picking them up very well)

DSC_9857.JPG.906c5d5f6c7513256d9cbdbd1153381c.JPG

He is also showing a lot more color and finnage from when I first got him!

DSC_9881.JPG.0f5c6464b3f27fafa800747c12672b0a.JPG

An overall look at the 29 gallon tank currently. Still too many guppies lol.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there again, time for another update:

The gourami is still doing great! I have noticed him chase some of the very small guppies (though he is too slow to catch them), so I will keep an eye out on his behavior. Otherwise, no updates for the 29 gallon except for an abundance of assassin snails.

I also think I found the reason why my cories aren't breeding. I think it is because (at least in the case of the paleatus cories) that they are all from the same family (the dad and then his children, as the mom passed already) and don't/can't interbreed. Do you think adding another member to their group might help? Another reason might be because there are too many fish in the tank and they feel like it is too crowded/risky to lay eggs (same goes for the aeneus cories, who did once lay eggs but it was right before I came home so they were all eaten up by guppies and assassin snails when I got there, I'm still pretty mad about that!). The only solution to this problem would be to get rid of more guppies, whose population keeps coming back after I sell a bunch.

For my 10 gallon, it is doing fine, though the original mother-of-all-guppies just passed yesterday. I am still going to try to get rid of the flying fox, but I am still debating on how to go about doing this, which I'll explain in a separate post. I plan on sticking to guppies in here, but might try some cories, I'm thinking maybe juliis or pandas (unfortunately not to breed, because of the abundance of assassin snails in this tank).

Finally, we have a spare 5 gallon aquarium with only a nerite snail in it. We plan on getting a few white cloud mountain minnows to start breeding in here. Is this a good idea? Would this tank be too small?

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys it's been a long while since I've had some good free time! I've been really busy with school. I just got a notification yesterday that I have officially been a member for a year now! Hopefully this next year I can help out a little more on the forum.

UPDATES:

The new sickness that was spreading in the tank is now cured. I was fortunate enough to not lose anyone this time! I've also raised the pH slightly with crushed coral to create a healthier environment for my guppies.

I just donated my two flying foxes to a local store yesterday, as they were becoming increasingly aggressive to their tank mates. The tank looks less crowded and more peaceful now.

20211226_230932.jpg.f385ab5516de530c03cf9678a7a5950e.jpg

20211226_230935.jpg.87d7a956da738c6a6f749bf9bb0f3063.jpg

Thanks for reading! I will began making more periodic updates in the future.