Corydoras missing fins??

Chlo

Hi, I got some corydoras recently, and just realized one of them is (kind of) missing his pectoral fins. Both of them are just little stubs, and he seems to be swimming fine I think. Should I be worried? Thanks

2021-05-26 (2).jpeg

It looks like it's had a hard time at some point, probably some horrible water conditions. If it's okay now and not showing any signs of on-going illness I'd leave it alone and let "stumpy" live out a happy life in my tank.

11 hours ago, lefty o said:

ive seen cories grow those fins back. get its problems cleared up, and over time it'll likely be fine.

11 hours ago, Ken said:

It looks like it's had a hard time at some point, probably some horrible water conditions. If it's okay now and not showing any signs of on-going illness I'd leave it alone and let "stumpy" live out a happy life in my tank.

Oh ok, thanks! (I decided to name him Stubby yesterday lol)

The cory is starting to look weird... he was laying on his side before and now he looks like he is bleeding inside. He is also kinda pale and he won't eat (but he is also new). Do you guys know what this could be?? I don't know if he's going to make it.... He's not moving and just laying there

Help!! The cory just died 😢... His belly is all red, could he have had red blotch disease?? Could the other corys have gotten it from him too??

Edited by Chlo

Help!! Should I try treating the other corys with meds?? I can't find what you use for red blotch disease. Is it likely they have it, as they were in the same tank as the infected cory? They seem fine right now but apparently the disease is very contagious!! 

pH is 8

GH is 17

KH is 6

ammonia was between 0 and .25 a few days ago but that was because I had just added the corys. I also added prime to detoxify the ammonia

nitrite 0

nitrate between 5-10

It might have been ammonia poisoning, I'm not sure. He was newer to the fish store so maybe there was a lot of ammonia when he was shipped. 

I also didn't quarantine the corys (please don't kill me!!! I know I should have!!). It was just that I didn't know how and didn't have time to cycle the qt tank, because my tap water has 1ppm ammonia. The other fish are a couple platies and they are hardy so I thought it would be fine.

We all make mistakes @Chlo  the vast majority of us are not here to judge just to help diagnose what might be going on. As I said, google search images of red blotch and ammonia poisoning. See which might look more applicable for you. The fin rot and death makes me think it is/was water quality related or ph swings, or too hot of water (for a cory) but it really could be other things. Your water looks good now, just keep it super clean. If it's ammonia poisoning that's all you can do and that in turn helps fin rot (and adding aquarium salt to the tank could help both). If it's red blotch you need an anti-bacterial med that has something like tetracycline in it- that won't help anything if it's ammonia related. 

7 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

We all make mistakes @Chlo  the vast majority of us are not here to judge just to help diagnose what might be going on. As I said, google search images of red blotch and ammonia poisoning. See which might look more applicable for you. The fin rot and death makes me think it is/was water quality related or ph swings, or too hot of water (for a cory) but it really could be other things. Your water looks good now, just keep it super clean. If it's ammonia poisoning that's all you can do and that in turn helps fin rot (and adding aquarium salt to the tank could help both). If it's red blotch you need an anti-bacterial med that has something like tetracycline in it- that won't help anything if it's ammonia related. 

Thank you, I think this has taught me the importance of quarantining. The tank water is at 76 degrees. Here are some pictures too, I'm not sure but maybe it was ammonia poisoning? Edit: actually, from other pictures it kind of looks like red blotch disease... hopefully not though

2021-05-28.jpg

2021-05-28.jpg

Edited by Chlo

Well, I don't keep Corys so I'm no expert on red blotch- though my little bit of research it doesn't seem like a super common thing, others can correct me on that (as there are many super cory keepers here). HOWEVER I did experience an issue with ammonia burn with my Otocinclus catfish and the area your Corys are red are around the gill areas just like my Oto was so leads me to believe that was the issue. Red blotch appeared to effect the sides of the fish but again, I'm not an expert I could be wrong. Only the cories are having the issue?

1 minute ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well, I don't keep Corys so I'm no expert on red blotch- though my little bit of research it doesn't seem like a super common thing, others can correct me on that (as there are many super cory keepers here). HOWEVER I did experience an issue with ammonia burn with my Otocinclus catfish and the area your Corys are red are around the gill areas just like my Oto was so leads me to believe that was the issue. Red blotch appeared to effect the sides of the fish but again, I'm not an expert I could be wrong. Only the cories are having the issue?

All the other cories are fine, it was only this one. The platies also seem fine.

1 minute ago, lefty o said:

red around the gills, id be inclined to believe ammonia, or chlorine was a factor.

Oh ok, but now that I'm looking at him there is also a red patch on his head

1 minute ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Just keep an eye on them. Keep the water clean, if it's ammonia that's the best treatment. As @lefty o pointed out, make sure the water is conditioned so chlorine can also be ruled out- but you did use Prime so not thinking that was a factor. 

Ok, I'll make sure to do that. Thanks guys for your help

oh and @Chlo, if you see the red blotches on more than just the gill area of the remaining corycats, that's where I'd be concerned it was red blotch, most of the images I see are on not just on the front half but back as well and they are SUPER red. Because your cory has the redness concentrated mostly to the gill area- leads me to believe it's more about water than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

oh and @Chlo, if you see the red blotches on more than just the gill area of the remaining corycats, that's where I'd be concerned it was red blotch, most of the images I see are on not just on the front half but back as well and they are SUPER red. Because your cory has the redness concentrated mostly to the gill area- leads me to believe it's more about water than anything else. 

Oh ok, I think it was mostly on his gills and I think I only saw it on his head once he passed. I'll make sure to watch the other cories though.