Background

Ben Mills

Hello @Ben Mills, backgrounds most often go on the outside of the aquarium unless they are 3d backgrounds. I would use the black backgrounds you can get at a local fish store and attach it with tape. Or you can also use black window tint from a hardware store. I am not sure of another method (since I assume painting it is out) but maybe someone else can chime in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Isaac M said:

Hello @Ben Mills, backgrounds most often go on the outside of the aquarium unless they are 3d backgrounds. I would use the black backgrounds you can get at a local fish store and attach it with tape. Or you can also use black window tint from a hardware store. I am not sure of another method (since I assume painting it is out) but maybe someone else can chime in. 

pretty much this in a nut shell.

I get the poster board from the Dollar Tree for...well, $1.  I have painted some, and plastidipped some to keep it water resistant.  Then I use double sided tape to stick it to the back of the tank.  When it's painted, it wants to curl up so it helps to weight the edges until it's all dry.

Black poster board is good, it's very cheap and easy to replace if need be. An upgrade from that is black foam craft board. Maybe 1/8" thick. That's what I'm using. It's not even attached to the tank, just standing behind it. The HOB filter holds it in place.

Edited by Daniel C
typo

I have only ever put backgrounds on after my tanks were set up and running because I just can't seem to commit to it before hand, and am too impatient to wait any longer to get water in there.  So I have always used black drawing or poster board (a roll of butcher style paper from a craft store is nice because it's usually big enough that you can cut a single piece to fit almost any size aquarium rather than lining up multiple pieces of paper).  I measure it, cut it to size, and attach it with tape (usually just scotch tape. 

If your tank has brackets, I recommend cutting your background paper a little bigger than the glass dimensions to overlap just a little bit on the black brackets.  This way, you can put the tape on the brackets, which hides it better when looking at the aquarium through the front glass.  I also put a little tape on the sides to help make the paper flush with the glass.  I hope this makes sense.  I can probably take some pictures if you need more 

It is a pain to do it afterwards, esp if the back of your tank is close to a wall like mine were.  But for some reason I keep doing it to myself.   🙂