What's old tank syndrome?

Jeannie

Hi Everyone,

I've just read on another post that tanks can end up with old tank syndrome. What is this exactly and roughly what time lapse can tanks start to suffer from this? More importantly, how can it be avoided? If indeed it can be avoided.

I'm still learning about this hobby. It seems never ending.  

Hi @Jeannie, I was about to post the link to the video @TheDukeAnumber1 posted as that is a great explanation of old tank syndrome.

In a nutshell, it will develop over time with a lack of maintenance. There will either be an accumulation of nitrates or something else in the water that your fish will become accustomed to or die from. And/ Or the pH can drop over time due to the nitrogen cycle. As ammonia gets converted to nitrates, free hydrogen ions are added to your system which will reduce pH or get bound to your kh(& reduce your kh). 

The best way to avoid old tank syndrome in my opinion is to have a heavily planted aquarium and test your water (nitrates, ph, gh and kh) so you can do water changes as needed. 

This is also a great reason to track your aquarium so you can compare your water parameters over time to see how it has changed. 

Thanks guys, 

I wasn't aware of GH and KH.  I've just watched Cory's video and read the other link. I think I kind of understand it, might have to read and watch again a few times to really comprehend it.  Feeling a bit stupid!!

I do currently keep a record of my daily tank readings etc.

Guess I need to buy the test kits for GH and KH.  Once I've got my head around this and understand exactly what I'm testing for.

Mind boggling stuff.

Lol no need to feel stupid. I re-read and re-watch things all the time. I will say the API liquid GH & KH test kits are worth it and should've been included in the master kit imo. I just have a hard time reading strips, I prefer liquid kits. Well I prefer digital meters but not many parameters have one of those available.

• Like 1

No need to feel stupid at all @Jeannie. This is technical material so reading and/ or watching it again or multiple times is almost a requirement to fully comprehend the material. It can feel overwhelming in the beginning but over time it will get a lot easier. 

Here is a link to an article by the co-op regarding ph, gh and kh. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/ph-gh-kh?_pos=2&_sid=57ddc18d7&_ss=r

Here is the video version if you prefer to learn that way instead:

I hope that helps! 

I think my favorite analogy for Old Tank Syndrome was when Cory called it "Old Chicken Syndrome." It's like someone who keeps chicken in their fridge too long and it starts to go bad, but they keep eating it and eating it and eventually build a tolerance for it and think it's completely fine. Then they have guests come over and serve them the same old, gross chicken for dinner, and the guests immediately get sick, because the chicken has gone bad, and they never built a tolerance for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@H.K.Luterman's example is exactly what happened in my tank. My fish got used to the "old chicken" and showed no signs of stress. Then I introduced something new for the first time, which promptly died, and got me asking questions. 

That's when my "feeling a bit stupid" happened, and I started learning a ton. For a couple months, I was having to learn so much, so fast, I swear my brain cramped. Regarding feeling "d'oh," I'm guessing most of us have been there, are there, or have no idea we'll soon be there. You're hardly alone. 

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 2