Pea Puffers and Shrimp

BIG GREEN

What type could I put in a 10 gallon tank with my pea puffrs, even if I could at all? Also what do I feed the shrimp or will  they be okay feeding off of the alga and stuff in the tank?

The tank is planted pretty heavy, temp is 75, ph stays around 7.3 to 7.6  KH is a 4 and GH is a 11 the last time I checked it 

I will not say that it can not be done but it is very risky. It is likely they will go after the shrimp and eat them. I am not sure about bamboo shrimp though, maybe someone else can chime in on this. 

As for what to feed shrimp, you would need a seasoned aquarium for the shrimp to live off of the biofilm and algae only. I would also assume they will run into a population limit based on only that food source as well. Foods with calcium are very beneficial for shrimp as well. 

The parameters you mentioned look good though for cherry shrimp(& all the associated color variants).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Isaac M said:

I will not say that it can not be done but it is very risky. It is likely they will go after the shrimp and eat them. I am not sure about bamboo shrimp though, maybe someone else can chime in on this. 

As for what to feed shrimp, you would need a seasoned aquarium for the shrimp to live off of the biofilm and algae only. I would also assume they will run into a population limit based on only that food source as well. Foods with calcium are very beneficial for shrimp as well. 

The parameters you mentioned look good though for cherry shrimp(& all the associated color variants).

The tank has been up and running now for about 6 months with the pea puffers. I hit it at least 2 times a week with ez green and its pretty healthy with algae. I was thinking bamboo shrimp also. I will reserch this for a while befor I pull the trigger on buying shrimp for the tank. Thanks for your input.

Edited by BIG GREEN
  • Like 1

I've kept pea puffers with already established colonies of cherry shrimp, in heavily planted/plenty of hiding places tanks. They will definitely "examine" shrimp to make a meal out of them but usually in that process the shrimp has time to get away. The shrimp are most vulnerable to attack after a molt. I've actually fed my pea puffers dead cherry shrimp and they gobble them right up but I've never witnessed them catch and kill a live one (not that it hasn't happened). I'm also 100% sure that they catch and eat shrimplets as there's not nearly as many babies being produced. That being said I've never had pea puffers wipe out an established colony of shrimp, I know my dwarf cichlids would if given the chance. Anyways, I think you'd be taking a big risk throwing a bunch of expensive shrimp in with these little terrors. I've had the luxury of producing so many shrimp that I could experiment with this. I should probably also mention I feed mine with plenty of bloodworms and snails, so maybe that's why they never wipe out the colony. If you wanted to play around with shrimp and pea puffers I'd probably go with ghost shrimp. They're inexpensive, the females get pretty big and you can breed them in the aquarium.. however, it may be difficult with the puffs. ^^

• Thanks 1