• Administrators

So neat! Is the yellow shrimp a female? I struggle to tell them apart sometimes. At first glance, I thought they were both male.

Anywho, came here to share a red and blue shrimp I accidentally got when my cherries spawned with my 'blue dream' neocaridina. Super cool! Tie dye. 

20200416170336_IMG_7699.jpg.c2b987a4412c8841168d7c0cdf79f337.jpg

5 hours ago, ange said:

Neocaridinas typically revert to wild type when color mutations mix.

I think LRB has blues and yellows in a tank and gets tons of greens..... I don't see a lot of shrimp breeding back to wild... Similar to other species it takes awhile to get completely wild unless your stock has odd genes.  Bettas for example don't turn out wild breeding 2 different colors normally... but if I breed 2 blue bettas, I may get some more wild looking or washed out colors because blue is not dominant.

My understanding of neo genetics is that the colors are a result of a single mutation causing the pigment on the exoskeleton to be a different color than normal (excludes lines such as bloody mary where it isn't just the exoskeleton that is pigmented), and since the mutations are recessive it's more likely that mixing strains will result in wild types.

Yogi Berra once said, "In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice there is."

The exciting prospect we have before us is all of these blue and yellow and red shrimp living and loving together in the same tank.

Soon we will learn what comes from mixing strains from different colors.