Height vs volume for angelfish tank

Alexa

40 breeder but one fish would be fine in the 29. I just believe that as a hobbyist we have an obligation to provide the best environment we can for the fish we keep. For some species that includes not only the size and cleanliness of the tank but also Social environment like appropriate school sizes. We always talk about the minimum size requirements for tanks but in my opinion For most things go as big as possible for your living space. I think the oceanic 53 gallon aquarium (36Lx18Wx21H)is the perfect tank for what you desire. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Taylor Blake said:

This is my old 53 gallon I had natives in it but it is one of my favorite sizes I've ever had. It's the same footprint as a 40 breeder just taller  

C437F7D9-4083-4FD7-91C2-F7B436E3E37C.jpeg

E4500D40-A73C-4646-833F-5BFACC1F7EB8.jpeg

I just finished cycling a 53 gallon display tank in my living room. I would have done a 75 over a 55, but we could not fit the extra foot with the decorum... so 53 was the next best thing. Had a hard time locating one! I really like 36" min length...I have a 29 and 30 gallon in my office, and prefer the 30 gallon for this reason... and I really like the 18" depth. I now have harlequin rasboras in it, and will be adding angels next. 

Edited by Bill
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Taylor Blake said:

This is my old 53 gallon I had natives in it but it is one of my favorite sizes I've ever had. It's the same footprint as a 40 breeder just taller  

C437F7D9-4083-4FD7-91C2-F7B436E3E37C.jpeg

E4500D40-A73C-4646-833F-5BFACC1F7EB8.jpeg

Thank you Taylor, I didn’t know this size existed!

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

I just finished cycling a 53 gallon display tank in my living room. I would have done a 75 over a 55, but we could not fit the extra foot with the decorum... so 53 was the next best thing. Had a hard time locating one! I really like 36" min length...I have a 29 and 30 gallon in my office, and prefer the 30 gallon for this reason... and I really like the 18" depth. I now have harlequin rasboras in it, and will be adding angels next. 

Where did you end up finding the 53? I don’t think I’ve seen one sold around my area...

20 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Where did you end up finding the 53? I don’t think I’ve seen one sold around my area...

Me neither! Out of the 3 shops within an hour from where I live in NJ, I just got lucky as one of them had a dusty one sitting on their floor for sale. Hard to find online also, just checked and found this:

https://www.petswarehouse.com/ml-53-gal-blk-seal-glass-aqrm-sd-3-l-b-309465/

A 29 gallon can comfortably house a pair of angelfish but it's on the lower end of what most people would consider acceptable. Generally speaking, bigger is better so if it's within your means to get a 40 then your angel definitely won't miss the extra couple of inches from a 29.

• Like 1