Drop Checker reading in tank with high KH

TheDish

So I'm running pressurized CO2 on my Fluval V. This is my first attempt at pressurized Co2 (I've done DIY before). I put a drop checker in on the opposite side of my diffuser, and it's still reading blue (low CO2). I'm currently running almost 3 BPS and thought that might be a little much and was surprised to see the drop checker reading "low" still.

I'm on well water and the KH is at 19dKH (340.1ppm) - will having a high KH effect the drop checkers reading ability?

3 hours ago, TheDish said:

I'm on well water and the KH is at 19dKH (340.1ppm) - will having a high KH effect the drop checkers reading ability?

It shouldn't assuming you didn't use tap water in your drop checker.  I'd try to move it closer to your co2 source just as a test to see if you put it in a stagnant area.  Also I'd think you'd want to keep the highest co2 location below the supposed 30ppm limit not the furthest area, but I'm not a co2 guy so maybe that's wrong.

Edited by CT_

26 minutes ago, CT_ said:

It shouldn't assuming you didn't use tap water in your drop checker.  I'd try to move it closer to your co2 source just as a test to see if you put it in a stagnant area.  Also I'd think you'd want to keep the highest co2 location below the supposed 30ppm limit not the furthest area, but I'm not a co2 guy so maybe that's wrong.

I used tank water, not tap water - Moving the drop checker was my next move, I was just following the instructions provided. It’s my first time using one, so any input helps. 

I appreciate it

Edited by TheDish

14 minutes ago, TheDish said:

I used tank water, not tap water - Moving the drop checker was my next move, I was just following the instructions provided. It’s my first time using one, so any input helps. 

I appreciate it

Oh, my understanding with the drop checkers is you need to use RO or DI or Distilled (close to pure water) then buffer the kh up to 4 and add the ph indicator.  I think green indicated with your tank water would be something crazy like 150ppm co2.

EDIT: or just buy the premixed indicator water, if you want the easiest way.

Edited by CT_

2 minutes ago, CT_ said:

Oh, my understanding with the drop checkers is you need to use RO or DI or Distilled (close to pure water) then buffer the kh up to 4 and add the ph indicator.  I think green indicated with your tank water would be something crazy like 150ppm co2.

EDIT: or just buy the premixed indicator water, if you want the easiest way.

I had read that elsewhere as well, but the instructions that came with the drop checker just said to add 1.5ml of tank water to the ph solution that came with it. 

The tank is only like three days old and isn’t anywhere near ready for livestock. It’s just plants right now. 

might be time for a different drop checker... or at the very least some 4 dKH water and try again

• Like 1