Fluval Flex Filter Intake Problems

Sakura Betta

Hi everyone, I'm having an odd problem with my 9 gallon Fluval Flex. I set it up about a week ago. It's a heavily planted tank with a betta fish and a nerite snail. I did a in-fish cycling and so far everything has been going smoothly until yesterday. It's starting to cycle however, after I did a 50% water change last night and filled the water back up I noticed that the intake filter isn't working properly. I've done my research on the tank and I haven't seen any one mention problems with the intake per say. The problem is that it's sucking in debris and other things but it spits it right back out into the water. I ran some tests on my water as did my local fish store and my ammonia was spiked which is why I did a large water change yesterday and I'm glad I did. Would the intake working incorrectly have a large effect on the ammonia? I would appreciate any advice and or suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Thanks guys! I checked the filter and the sponge. The sponge had popped up and I pushed it all the way down. I also made the water higher on the intake just blow where the slots begin to start. So far it seems to be working much better.