"DIY" 150g Reef & bully discus in a 30g fresh

On 7/23/2021 at 7:11 AM, Daniel said:

Discus are extremely political and have a pecking order just like chickens. There is usually a dominant fish who enforces its dominance by bullying. Once you removed the first bully, it gave room for the second fish to become the bully. This is totally natural and there is no way to stop this other than to keep a large school of discus so that any bullying effects are very diffuse. It two pair up they do not try and enforce dominance over the other but instead mate and raise babies.

At about 12 the discus will school nicely and bullying is not a problem.

835191584_bigtank.jpg.7fb633168d09d9742ca21754984d2f0d.jpg

After they pair up, they will set up territories and tend to just guard the boundary areas.

That's a beautiful aquarium art you have there.

here's a "quick 13min no cuts video of kinda feeding time" I just rolled. lot's of junk in water column I cleaned the glass for easier viewing 🙂

Our new Saltwater Goldfish:

By contrast you can tell these cute little guys really care about one another...

This was their introduction to the tank. They had all traveled on the road for 5 hours. The one at the bottom had a tough trip. Notice how they all stick around him. Also, off camera he immediately sunk to the sand when I put them in, two of them followed him down, they both rounded up the rest to bring them over and one of them would stay on the sand with him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 12:06 PM, Spicy Reef said:

That's a beautiful aquarium art you have there.

here's a "quick 13min no cuts video of kinda feeding time" I just rolled. lot's of junk in water column I cleaned the glass for easier viewing 🙂

Sad news... #2 was gaining color looking healthy, still getting shoved around but otherwise healthy looking, it was fattening up etc. one morning is saw him in the corner not moving. My suspicions were correct he passed. Upon further reading I may be dealing with an "inbred/farmed"dilemma of some sort that I can not find any documentation about... I added more plants and hiding places that solved nothing.

So I still have #1 and the other two are getting along or so it seems. I think I might have to tap out on these discus. Who knew, when people are talking about it being difficult to take care of discus, who knew that it was behavior problems not water parameters or feeding.

Anyone interested in rehoming (#1), or (#3 and #4) or all 3 red marlboro  discus? If you take all I'ld be willing to let you have the 29gallon with 1 large sponge filter w/bubbler and 1 heater. I'll keep all the little creatures though.