Which Fluval 3.0 LED to purchase for 55 gallon aquarium

Jim Fox

I have a 55 gallon aquarium currently using two Marineland covers with LED lights.  Since I started adding live plants, I have found that the Anubias are doing fine after 6 months but the Java Ferns are slowly dying off.  First the leaves get brown spots and over several weeks die and need to be removed.  All plants are attached to rocks via string, rubber band, or super glue.  Water chemistry is generally OK with pH of 7.6, nitrites and ammonia at near zero and nitrates fluctuate between 20 and 50.  I want to add more plants to help with nitrates and for appearance so I am considering adding a Fluval 3.0 LED light to be able to provide more light to the plants.  The aquarium measures 12 inches by 48 inches with a divider bar in the middle.  Height is 18 inches.  Should I get the 36 inch/46 watt or 48inch/59 watt light?  Also, once I remove the existing Marineland covers, should I replace them with glass covers to reduce evaporation and fish jumping out of the tank or is there something else people would recommend?

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

Are you fertilizing the aquarium? You may not need any more light.

I am using the Easy Green.  I started out doing 4-5 squirts per week but after a month had algae starting to explode so I cut back to 1-2 strokes per week.  Algae eventually got under control but a few months later started to see the Java Ferns starting to go down hill.  I also wanted to add more plants that require medium light and doubt that the Marineland LED's provide sufficient light.  With the nitrates running up to 50 or so, I was hesitant to increase the Easy Green.  

11 minutes ago, Stealth Aquatics said:

I would also get glass covers to keep heat and water in and to not get water on the light. 

Thanks, my instincts told me the same thing but wanted to get additional opinions before dropping the money for the new light and glass covers.

2 minutes ago, Jim Fox said:

I am using the Easy Green.  I started out doing 4-5 squirts per week but after a month had algae starting to explode so I cut back to 1-2 strokes per week.  Algae eventually got under control but a few months later started to see the Java Ferns starting to go down hill.  I also wanted to add more plants that require medium light and doubt that the Marineland LED's provide sufficient light.  With the nitrates running up to 50 or so, I was hesitant to increase the Easy Green.  

I also wanted to say that I enjoy the forum and have liked the customer service and quick responses I have seen to my orders.  Do you also sell the glass covers for aquariums?  I did not see them on the online store.

1 minute ago, Cory said:

We don't sell the glass tops online. Too difficult to ship. A different light may suit you better as those marineland lights are rough.

Appreciate the response, I will buy the Fluval light through the Aquarium Co-op online store but make a visit to my area Petco to get the glass covers.  That is where I also purchase my fish, etc. even though they are a national chain, I try to support them where I can so I have a retail store I can visit.  

• Like 1