First Apistogramma Spawn

Lowells Fish Lab

Hi all!

I think my apistos heard the livestream playing on TV and decided to spawn for me. Every new species I see breed is just as exciting as the first. Male and female spent a couple of hours holed up in the cave shown below. It's completely dark in the back so I did my best to illuminate a bit for a photo. You can see the female tending to the new eggs. Can't wait to see some fry!

apisto eggs 2.PNG

Edited by Lowells Fish Lab
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Lowells Fish Lab said:

Hi all!

I think my apistos heard the livestream playing on TV and decided to spawn for me. Every new species I see breed is just as exciting as the first. Male and female spent a couple of hours holed up in the cave shown below. It's completely dark in the back so I did my best to illuminate a bit for a photo. You can see the female tending to the new eggs. Can't wait to see some fry!

apisto eggs 2.PNG

Pink coloration... were you feeding live baby brine shrimp? Xtreme? Something nice and high in carotenoids....

Good luck! Keep us posted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Pink coloration... were you feeding live baby brine shrimp? Xtreme?

I pretty much feed all my fish live BBS with a side of live BBS. But yes! Xtreme nano also. I'm so curious how the male is going to behave. He has been incredibly docile so far but If he wants to I'm sure he could eat the whole spawn. Just look at this mouth.. 

Here's the female too while I'm at it. 

male apisto.PNG

female apisto.PNG

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Lowells Fish Lab said:

I pretty much feed all my fish live BBS with a side of live BBS. But yes! Xtreme nano also. I'm so curious how the male is going to behave. He has been incredibly docile so far but If he wants to I'm sure he could eat the whole spawn. Just look at this mouth.. 

Here's the female too while I'm at it. 

male apisto.PNG

female apisto.PNG

You watch: she will _tail-whip_ him in the face to protect that spawn. Female Apistos are the BOSS!! Just beware of plecos or fast tetras. They’ll eat eggs and fry (respectively). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

You watch: she will _tail-whip_ him in the face to protect that spawn. 

I'll look out for any abuse.. They're in the same tank I used for spawning rams- all by themselves with no other fish to bug them. It's a 10 gallon that circulates water to another 10 gallon above it. If he looks like he's getting picked on I'll move him upstairs.

• Like 1