new from Texas

hello me and my lady just started our new aquarium a 55 gallon fresh water, we found a lot of helpful videos on youtube from the Aquarium Co op channel. but for the most part were new to all this and would like to learn as much as possible to improve and move up in our tanks as we build. right now we have two white zebra angel fish, 2 asst angel all small, 3 candy cane tetras, 4 von rio tetras, 2 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, and 4 glo tetras. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated always!  next on our list is upgrading to two large sponge filters 

KLFKE8521 (2).JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr.Dropp said:

hello me and my lady just started our new aquarium a 55 gallon fresh water, we found a lot of helpful videos on youtube from the Aquarium Co op channel. but for the most part were new to all this and would like to learn as much as possible to improve and move up in our tanks as we build. right now we have two white zebra angel fish, 2 asst angel all small, 3 candy cane tetras, 4 von rio tetras, 2 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, and 4 glo tetras. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated always!  next on our list is upgrading to two large sponge filters 

KLFKE8521 (2).JPG

Awesome! Welcome. 55 gal. Aquariums are really nice. I've attached a couple 55 gal aquariums we've got running. Sponge Filters are great! We often use a combo of sponge filters and the hang on back you've got going. We also have enjoyed live plants -- though in the African Cichlid Tank, our mbunas tend to eat many plants, so we grow Pothos out of the tops of the hang on backs.1629823492_ScreenShot2020-11-29at2_21_16PM.png.ab9dfd2363933cd4276571c694c62ae6.png

115FC813-6757-4F3D-8FBA-A5939989332D.jpeg.c8c156edefac55653b2a2d3061efe2d7.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Awesome! Welcome. 55 gal. Aquariums are really nice. I've attached a couple 55 gal aquariums we've got running. Sponge Filters are great! We often use a combo of sponge filters and the hang on back you've got going. We also have enjoyed live plants -- though in the African Cichlid Tank, our mbunas tend to eat many plants, so we grow Pothos out of the tops of the hang on backs.1629823492_ScreenShot2020-11-29at2_21_16PM.png.ab9dfd2363933cd4276571c694c62ae6.png

115FC813-6757-4F3D-8FBA-A5939989332D.jpeg.c8c156edefac55653b2a2d3061efe2d7.jpeg

Awesome is like to get switch to live plants the more I meant about them. I also would like my tank more set up like those, this is my first one definitely a learning experience. 

• Like 1

Hello, and welcome to the forum.  What part of Texas (I'm between Navasota and Hempstead)?

Also, since you said "any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated always", I do have a few things.  I'm not judging; just trying to help.

• Tetras are shoaling fish, and do better in groups.  I'd recommend picking out your favorite two species, bumping the numbers up, and re-homing the other variety.  Most people say six is the minimum, but I prefer eight, and more is always better if space permits.
  • Multiple male dwarf gouramis (and females are notoriously difficult to find in the US, so yours are probably both male) in the same tank is almost always a recipe for disaster as they reach sexual maturity.  They will usually start fighting, and not stop until only one is left alive.
  • Like 1

JettsPapa thanks I appreciate any help or info shared, I'm from Mineral Wells, Tx 45 minutes west of Ft Worth in north central Texas. I basically took the sales men word for everything with some minor research on the fish and the community built up, definitely a learning process. and what's the best way to identify male from female ??