Starving Cory - Other fish stealing its food

DJ Suss

I’m trying not to overfeed, but all other fish in the tank are eating everything before the Cory gets it. Had 4 Corys, but 3 died of starvation. Tried using both Sera O-nips and Hikari sinking wafers simultaneously, thinking the other fish would go after the o-nip first, but no luck. They’re eating the wafers too. Other fish in tank are: 25 neons, 3 platies, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 blue ram. What does everyone recommend doing to ensure the Cory gets fed without overfeeding the others? The others are just getting fatter.

5 minutes ago, DJ Suss said:

I’m trying not to overfeed, but all other fish in the tank are eating everything before the Cory gets it. Had 4 Corys, but 3 died of starvation. Tried using both Sera O-nips and Hikari sinking wafers simultaneously, thinking the other fish would go after the o-nip first, but no luck. They’re eating the wafers too. Other fish in tank are: 25 neons, 3 platies, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 blue ram. What does everyone recommend doing to ensure the Cory gets fed without overfeeding the others? The others are just getting fatter.

Corydoras are catfish. Like many other species in that overarching category, they are more active at night / lights out than their tank mates. All of your other fish will settle down into a sleep-like stasis soon after the lights are out. So, the thing to do is to wait until lights out just a couple minutes, and then drop in some food for your corydoras. They will eat Repashy greedily. Ours also were well-prepared for breeding when feeding on blood worms or black worms. Hope this helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DJ Suss said:

I've noticed other fish (like gouramis and I am assume cichlids too) will bite and drive away cories from their food at the bottom. Tetras and livebearers will swarm food, so it is hard for the poor cories to get a bite to eat. Instead, I do as @Fish Folk suggested, leaving the lights off while the cories eat. Feed them right after they turn off, and 10-15 minutes before the lights come on. Trust me, it works! Best of luck with your next cories!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m have the same concern in my 29 gal. I had 4 Cory 3 oto and a hillstream loach. I lost a Cory and moved another to a smaller tank with only a betta. I see him eating now. I took him out of the 29 gallon tank when I saw him stuck on the intake valve of my hang on back filter.I feed the 29 gal the wafers at night but not sure who’s eating them. The other food stealing tank mates were angels, now removed. Remaining are rummy nose and black neons

Edited by Iris
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Iris said:

I’m have the same concern in my 29 gal. I had 4 Cory 3 oto and a hillstream loach. I lost a Cory and moved another to a smaller tank with only a betta. I see him eating now. I took him out of the 29 gallon tank when I saw him stuck on the intake valve of my hang on back filter.I feed the 29 gal the wafers at night but not sure who’s eating them

I'm sure your Corys will appreciate some servings of meaty food from time to time at night too. If there's waste left over in the morning, just clean it up so that it doesn't foul the water. 

6 minutes ago, Iris said:

@Fish Folki’m feeding hikari sinking wafers and am considering rapashy community. 

I'm sure that's a fine food. We've found that our Corys take faster to foods that immediately fit into their mouth. But that Hikari wafer breaks down, and is a good blend!