New tank cycling questions

I started a brand new 20 gallon tank 8 days ago.  I planted it with low light plants and have been dosing, per the instructions, with Seachem Stability and testing my water every other day.  I'm trying determine what I need to do next.  Here are my test results...

May 16th: A=0, Ni=0, Na=5ppm

May 19th: A=2ppm, Ni=2ppm, Na=10ppm

May 21st: A=0, Ni=5ppm, Na=10ppm

May 23rd: A=0, Ni=5ppm, Na=40ppm

I have new plant growth starting on several different types of plants and I have some hair algae growing.

I believe I need to do a water change and recheck my water parameters.  Then possible add a fish or two and keep checking water parameters. 

I'd love to get some input from others and thank you in advance!

I personally would not do a water change.  I know everybody is going to freak at that comment but since this is a planted tank I would just wait for the nitrite to become 0. Maybe another week but by that time your plants are going to be better established. They are part of your balanced eco system.  You really want your Nitrates to be between 40-50 ppm for a planted tank.  The plants remove the Nitrates as they feed...so dont add any more ferts until you see Nitrates dropping then maintain them at 40.  

This is just my opinion and what I have gathered from others who keep planted aquariums. 

Wish you the very best of luck and hope you will send some pics and let us enjoy your new tank journey with you.

• Thanks 1

unless things go sideways on you, avoid changing the water. if you enjoy a long drawn out cycle, and numerous problems, change water frequently. you have to let a tank sit and do its thing, whether you do a fish in or fishless cycle. it is human nature to over react, and want to fix things right now, dont do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar boat, as I recently set up my 55 gallon this past Friday.  Most of the plants seem to be doing fine in their new home, with only a couple of the Crypts melting atm.  The A. bateri and java moss look like they already started growing new growth, and the other Crypts appear to be doing fine ( I got 4 different types to see which ones will work best for me).

So my question is regarding using Fritz Zyme 7.  I have started normal cycling with fish food, and was wondering can I add the Zyme 7 in about a month after the plants have gotten established?