PH issues now

Mary K

In November I set up a 29g.  PH was a pretty constant 7.6.  4 Weeks ago I moved it all into a 75g and my PH has been dropping.  It is now 6.6 and I checked the tap, and its at 6.4. I never tested the tap water before now, my bad.

In 2020 county water quality pamphlet states, "ECUA adds Calcium Hydroxide (lime) for pH adjustment; Phosphoric Acid for corrosion control in the distribution system and home plumbing; and Chlorine for disinfection. Fluoride, added at select wells, helps prevent tooth decay." Same as every other year. 

Oh and KH has always been low, Like 53.7 ppm with the API kit.  It was 35.8 ppm today.  

Guess I need to buy crushed coral.  Do I really need 7.5 lbs for my 75g?

Thanks again y'all.

1 hour ago, Mary K said:

In November I set up a 29g.  PH was a pretty constant 7.6.  4 Weeks ago I moved it all into a 75g and my PH has been dropping.  It is now 6.6 and I checked the tap, and its at 6.4. I never tested the tap water before now, my bad.

In 2020 county water quality pamphlet states, "ECUA adds Calcium Hydroxide (lime) for pH adjustment; Phosphoric Acid for corrosion control in the distribution system and home plumbing; and Chlorine for disinfection. Fluoride, added at select wells, helps prevent tooth decay." Same as every other year. 

Oh and KH has always been low, Like 53.7 ppm with the API kit.  It was 35.8 ppm today.  

Guess I need to buy crushed coral.  Do I really need 7.5 lbs for my 75g?

Thanks again y'all.

You can get away with less Crushed Coral if you use some Hang-on-backs, and load a bunch of crushed coral into bio-net-bags. The flow will disperse it better than just dumping it all in your substrate. I wonder why your pH was so high in your 29 gal? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

You can get away with less Crushed Coral if you use some Hang-on-backs, and load a bunch of crushed coral into bio-net-bags. The flow will disperse it better than just dumping it all in your substrate. I wonder why your pH was so high in your 29 gal? 

That is a great idea!   I am going to replace my HOBs with Sponge filters, but I will keep one for the crushed coral.  Brilliant!  

As far as PH.... no idea...  Only changes from the 29 to 75 was:

1. Gravel from HD box store.  The gravel was amazingly dirty. I washed it 3 times in the week      before I set up the tank.  Maybe I should not have used that gravel.

2. I added another cypress knee that I purchased from same etsy vendor as the other in the 29.  I have removed new one now. Not sure if Cypress effects PH.   

3. I added that Universal Rock back ground I got on amazon. I Installed with GE 100% Silicone.

Anywho, Thanks @Fish Folk I appreciate your advice.  

Wait!  I did a 50% water change last night.  Maybe that was the cause of low PH.  Ill test again tomorrow.  

GOSH  there are so many things that could happen. Uggh! This 75 is a huge learning experience for me.  The 29 dialed itself in perfectly. I had no problems with it.

IMG_4073.jpeg.a970fa838f1785450598d5a57abcecd8.jpeg

• Like 1

So which gravel did you use in the 29, and which in the 75?

Instead of crushed coral (or in addition to), you can buy powdered limestone (calcium carbonate). It’s a very very fine powder. You can mix it up in some water and then add *small* amounts of that solution to your main tank until you get the KH you want.

The new tank looks great btw!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hobbit said:

So which gravel did you use in the 29, and which in the 75?

Instead of crushed coral (or in addition to), you can buy powdered limestone (calcium carbonate). It’s a very very fine powder. You can mix it up in some water and then add *small* amounts of that solution to your main tank until you get the KH you want.

The new tank looks great btw!

@Hobbit  First, thank you for the compliment and the advice. 💛

My 29 I used gravel from petco, what ever brand... made for aquariums. I used the Vigiro landscape gravel from HD in the 75.  I then put the gravel from my 29 on top in the 75.

I did post on a local area FB aquarium enthusiast page and another local said they had to use crushed coral for PH issues.  

Ordering, calcium carbonate and crushed coral now.  

• Like 1

Got it! Well that may explain part of it—I have gravel from Petco (imagitarium brand) in my 55, and it’s kept the pH above 7.4 basically since I’ve had the tank. My tap water is pH 6.6 on a good day, and my tank without Petco gravel stays at a consistently lower pH.

I don’t think the gravel’s adding anything bad to the water—it may actually be good stuff! But it definitely affects water chemistry, which was a surprise to me.

12 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Got it! Well that may explain part of it—I have gravel from Petco (imagitarium brand) in my 55, and it’s kept the pH above 7.4 basically since I’ve had the tank. My tap water is pH 6.6 on a good day, and my tank without Petco gravel stays at a consistently lower pH.

I don’t think the gravel’s adding anything bad to the water—it may actually be good stuff! But it definitely affects water chemistry, which was a surprise to me.

@Hobbit That is the same gravel I had in the 29... Wow....Okay... well, I guess if all else fails, I will replace gravel.   

Deep down I though I might be making a mistake with HD gravel.  🤨  

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1