• Administrators

This is why I say, plants are 75/25. There are plants that prefer water column or substrate, but will use what they don't prefer when absent. You can see this when you grow plants in a bare bottom tank vs a substrate tank. Or in a tank that gets no fertilizer at all, but they can feed from the roots.

In the experiment above, the tank is flooded with nutrients with EI dosing. You see a little difference in the sword plant. But in an experiment where you have unlimited pizza or tacos. And at the end both people are full, if you didn't see what they ate, you have no idea if they were eating more pizza or tacos.

The other times I see this come into play is when you have fast growing stem plants, using up the water column ferts, and then have a crypt. If there is no substrate fertilizer that crypt will really struggle vs the quick growing stem plants.

I like to think of root tabs as having a ready made sandwhich in the fridge. It's always there when needed. Most meals though, you'll cook something.

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

This is why I say, plants are 75/25. There are plants that prefer water column or substrate, but will use what they don't prefer when absent. You can see this when you grow plants in a bare bottom tank vs a substrate tank. Or in a tank that gets no fertilizer at all, but they can feed from the roots.

In the experiment above, the tank is flooded with nutrients with EI dosing. You see a little difference in the sword plant. But in an experiment where you have unlimited pizza or tacos. And at the end both people are full, if you didn't see what they ate, you have no idea if they were eating more pizza or tacos.

The other times I see this come into play is when you have fast growing stem plants, using up the water column ferts, and then have a crypt. If there is no substrate fertilizer that crypt will really struggle vs the quick growing stem plants.

I like to think of root tabs as having a ready made sandwhich in the fridge. It's always there when needed. Most meals though, you'll cook something.

Well said. 

I'd imagine they are great for those of us who fall into the "forgetful" category or busy category.

My mind is being changed. This is good!

So, adding "unnecessary, but offer excellent redundancy/alternative".

Super Interesting! 
I’ll add this for those who don’t want to read the entire thread posted in 2014 by professional aquascaper and biologist Tom Barr. 

The experiment divided a tank into two sections with an inert substrate on one side and one supplemented with a commercial fertilizer on the other. The same root feeding plants were planted on each side. He used Estimative Index fertilizer dosing for the water column and CO2 injection. 

left side has inert substrate, right side has Osmocote Plus added. The second photo is at eight weeks. 

@Cory, it looks like the Swords and AR on the right were so happy to have that extra sandwich in the fridge😀

F484B8E2-E375-4D72-849E-3612101F8F9D.jpeg

53AE1F89-0194-4182-8216-7CA864C3687C.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1