Can I put my gourami in my ropefish tank to eat hydra?

mgudyka

I would like to give my two voracious thick lipped gouramis a job: eat hydra in my rope fish tank. They are very outgoing and apparently very good at keeping hydra in check in their tank because I had never seen one before until I set up my other tanks. 

I know the hydra aren't really going to be able to hurt the fish in my rope tank (2 ropefish, 2 electric blue acaras, and one sailfin pleco), but I hate knowing they are there.

Is it mean to move fish to another tank temporarily?

They would probably like being in there. It's spacious and very planted. They can't fit in a rope fish's mouth because they are too big.

I would love to get some of your thoughts

10 hours ago, mgudyka said:

I would like to give my two voracious thick lipped gouramis a job: eat hydra in my rope fish tank. They are very outgoing and apparently very good at keeping hydra in check in their tank because I had never seen one before until I set up my other tanks. 

I know the hydra aren't really going to be able to hurt the fish in my rope tank (2 ropefish, 2 electric blue acaras, and one sailfin pleco), but I hate knowing they are there.

Is it mean to move fish to another tank temporarily?

They would probably like being in there. It's spacious and very planted. They can't fit in a rope fish's mouth because they are too big.

I would love to get some of your thoughts

Ropefish and Dwarf Gourami can be tankmates. I’m not sure about how the Gourami and Acaras will get along, but will say that Acaras can hold their own. My main concern would be ensuring that your ropefish get enough (live) food.

Here are a couple overview pages on their care:

https://meethepet.com/ropefish/

https://www.aquariumsource.com/rope-fish/#rope-fish-tank-mates

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

Ropefish and Dwarf Gourami can be tankmates. I’m not sure about how the Gourami and Acaras will get along, but will say that Acaras can hold their own. My main concern would be ensuring that your ropefish get enough (live) food.

Here are a couple overview pages on their care:

https://meethepet.com/ropefish/

https://www.aquariumsource.com/rope-fish/#rope-fish-tank-mates

The acaras are also very food crazy so I have been giving them food first so they can to nuts on like freeze dried tubifex and then I feed live black worms directly to the rope fish with some long ass tongs and as a result the acara are less interested in the food I have presented the ropefish.

I guess I can as more concerned with whether it was not nice to move fish to different tanks temporarily but it sounds like that's not even an issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgudyka said:

The acaras are also very food crazy so I have been giving them food first so they can to nuts on like freeze dried tubifex and then I feed live black worms directly to the rope fish with some long ass tongs and as a result the acara are less interested in the food I have presented the ropefish.

I guess I can as more concerned with whether it was not nice to move fish to different tanks temporarily but it sounds like that's not even an issue?

You’re spot on with feeding plan! Just don’t move the ropefish out. They do not take kindly to being moved. 

2 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

You’re spot on with feeding plan! Just don’t move the ropefish out. They do not take kindly to being moved. 

I only have one tank big enough for them they aren't going anywhere!

20210521_194446.jpg

• Love 2