trim/brace options on aquarium

thebeatonpath

I recently acquired an old 48lx12w tank. I have no idea how old it is, but it has woodgrain plastic trim that is falling apart. I plan on resealing (did so for my 29 bowfront) and replacing the trim. I've watched numerous videos on how to replace trim, euro bracing, going rimless, etc. After watching those, I'm nervous about going rimless for this size and have heard numerous opinions on euro bracing and its effectiveness. I've only found two places online that make the replacement plastic black trim. I noticed one custom company uses aluminum trim they make themselves. Has anyone ever used aluminum trim pieces (L shape) like you find at Home Depot or Lowes to create your own trim?  Antique aquariums were all trimmed in metal, so I figured I wasn't recreating the wheel. I would solder the corners together and the center brace to the trim for support. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thebeatonpath said:

I recently acquired an old 48lx12w tank. I have no idea how old it is, but it has woodgrain plastic trim that is falling apart. I plan on resealing (did so for my 29 bowfront) and replacing the trim. I've watched numerous videos on how to replace trim, euro bracing, going rimless, etc. After watching those, I'm nervous about going rimless for this size and have heard numerous opinions on euro bracing and its effectiveness. I've only found two places online that make the replacement plastic black trim. I noticed one custom company uses aluminum trim they make themselves. Has anyone ever used aluminum trim pieces (L shape) like you find at Home Depot or Lowes to create your own trim?  Antique aquariums were all trimmed in metal, so I figured I wasn't recreating the wheel. I would solder the corners together and the center brace to the trim for support. Any thoughts?

One of my local fish stores has this metal bracing on it along with a 2-3 inch euro brace on a 150+ gallon tank, looking at the pic I took I just realized I didn’t get the corners, I’ll try to get a picture of them next time I am at the store, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

A0B79D67-15BE-4376-BE72-4147834F8269.jpeg

Edited by MattyIce

On 9/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, MattyIce said:

One of my local fish stores has this metal bracing on it along with a 2-3 inch euro brace on a 150+ gallon tank, looking at the pic I took I just realized I didn’t get the corners, I’ll try to get a picture of them next time I am at the store, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

A0B79D67-15BE-4376-BE72-4147834F8269.jpeg