Ultimate, most easy/quick maintenance filtration setup for both mechanical and biological?

HenryC

After my fluval 406 canister broke, I'm done with canisters lol. I've switched my entire fish room to full sponge filters, and they work great but I'm a real fan of crystal clear water. As more and more tanks get added to my collection, I become more and more lazy when it comes to filter maintenance, so I'm brainstorming some ideas.

What has worked for you? I just need something easy to operate in order to use polyfilter for that pristine water clearness! I was thinking of saving some money and putting a downsized hang on back for each tank (since they're not the main filtration source). Also, Shark internal filters seem to do the trick too, I got one and it works fantastic, clogs up really fast but I guess that's good cause it's doing its job!

I run aquaclear HOBs. I use the sponge that comes with it, some pinky floss (buy in a large roll off amazon and cut to size) and the bio rings that come with it. Water is always crystal clear. Maintenance is easy, pull the sponge once a month and rinse in a bucket of tank water during the water change. Take the bag of bio rings and swish them around in the same water, replace the piece of pinky floss. That's it.

Set up from bottom to top is sponge, floss, rings. I only run HOBs and sponge filters and I have tried a lot of HOBs. Aquaclear by far has been my favorite. 

Dont forget to get an intake sponge as well. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

Could go one big sump and share water. It’s a little risky as everything is sharing the same water so need good quarantine practices but that would just be one filter to clean. I’ve thought of a hybrid system with both air/ sponge and sump might be perfect for large fish room. For quarantine shut off circulation and run only only air. Would also make water changes really simple. 

• Like 1

If you're trying to run poly fill and you're already running air to your tanks...a box filter is a stupid cheap option....unfortunately to get one that is of usable size you kinda have to DIY 16218613525738580789614088268756.jpg.f82ffe69804ef130fe42165d899d3954.jpg

It messy cause I'm in the middle of maintenence. This is one made out of a coffee can and some pvc. If you drink decaff you'll have a green filter and you can cut the upright tube level with the top of the can for a better/hide-able look.

20210524_082645.jpg.eb893fdcf1250a27056f610dbc0b5f1c.jpg

Added small hole to lid using a soldering iron and used an exacto knife to trace/ cut a hole for upright tube, much easier to cut a 1 inch square and makes absolutely no difference on how well it works

20210524_082718.jpg.9c1bf19463a87be27b854476ba189c6e.jpg

Used a 1 inch to ½ inch reducer coupling as a bell end so water can get around the air stone just drilled some holes in the side. Then a ½ inch pvc upright tube.20210524_082850.jpg.f6a7827978b39341f5d46bd86b4fcd24.jpg

Center the tube in the can and cover the bell with some lava rock. I like this stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mosser-Lee-1-5-Qt-Red-Lava-Rock-Soil-Cover-1140/204372347 

Or any bio media

20210524_082944.jpg.40748f4bd688321d4560359db42c96da.jpg

Top with poly and you're good to go.20210524_083024.jpg.4043e13d2bbf92ce3bb977dd9f9cc226.jpg

Cheap and easy to make especially if you want to get a bunch of them going in multiple tanks 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That tank has way to many turtles (4 under 6 inchs) for its size (75 gal) so weekly I'm mess with one of the filters...it has multiple and mostly I do a 95% water change (python water change system is worth its weight in gold) once a month.

Turtles aren't as sensitive to water parameters as fish so large water changes do not seem to stress them as much...or really at all.

There are "feeder guppies" breeding in that tank. They don't get fed any extra just the turtles leftovers. And they do a good job at turning big turtle poo into little fish poo and are hardy enough to handle water change.  @Beardedbillygoat1975

Edited by Speakeasy

@SpeakeasyThat’s really interesting on the difference between turtle keeping and fish keeping. My only experience with a turtle was at age 10 had a slider - my mother and I were woefully unprepared. If my boys decided that’s something they wanted to do would be much better prepared. How many of those coffee can box filters do you have in there ? How many gallons is their enclosure?

@Patrick_G, Have you used one of these personally? I am in a similar situation. I switched from HOB (Aquaclears) to sponge filters. I prefer the sponges for several reasons.. minimal noise, easy to clean/maintain, nothing hanging off the back of the tank, no algae filled intake tube, etc. but I miss that crystal clear water.. not enough to go back to HOB.. at least not yet. I am wondering if this filled with filter floss might help!

On 5/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, Patrick_G said:

Nicrew has this little guy. It could be filled with floss instead of sponge. It’s $14
NICREW Aquarium Internal Filter, Submersible Power Filter with Adjustable Waterflow, Aeration System with Sponge Filter for Fish Tanks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TLK2XXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_JN4RPW9CE3JC3F7FSWQK

9054CAF0-9612-4C39-9CE8-7B6EBD60DABC.jpeg

I guess if you want the "most easy" and the "quickest maintenance". I have no choice but to say sponge filter.  I don't think I know of anything that's simpler or easier to maintence then just a simple sponge.  I don't personally like them in my main/display tank but I use one from Aquarium Coop in my quarantine/hospital/grow out tank.  

I prefer HOBs and I agree with the others Auqaclear is really reliable, does a good job and pretty hassle free. 

• Like 1