This is what I got from my first time doing shrimp summer tubbing. I put 40 shrimp into a 110 gallong stock tank with a bunch of crypts and a few water Lillies I have brought about 200 to a store to trade in for store credit and I still have hundreds left. This is a holding tank for them until I can bring the rest in to be sold. I would love to see some of your shrimp tubs.

I will not be shipping. I'm just selling local in the twin cities area to stores for credit I'm still trying to stock my 300 hill stream 😅

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Taylor Blake
  • Like 12

• Administrators

Nice work, the sunlight really helps color up cherry shrimp I've found in previous years when I've done it. I also found out that here in washington I can overwinter cherry shrimp with about 2 inches of ice on top of the pond. Not sure if they can withstand anything more harsh. 

@GaaraThe shrimp I took to the store I took out the ones that were not up to my standards and I put them back in this tank to be culled later so this is a random average of what I got.

@AJEI breed them outside but the photo was taken inside in a 10 gallon under artificial light.

@Cory I plan on trying amonos next year and slowly adding salt to the tank to get them to breed and produce you said you tried them outside but they got to cold were you trying to breed them?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Amano shrimp needs a brackish water phase for the larvae to hatch and grow into adults unfortunately 

I know that is what I was going to try a brackish pond with just Amanos. I would like a few hundred for my big tanks so I really would rather breed them then buy that many. Dose anyone know how long it takes for the larva to turn into shrimp?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

I know that is what I was going to try a brackish pond with just Amanos. I would like a few hundred for my big tanks so I really would rather breed them then buy that many. Dose anyone know how long it takes for the larva to turn into shrimp?

Most things I’ve read say 8-12 weeks to morph. But I’ve also read that the Amanos need to breed in freshwater and the larvae transferred to something close to marine water to survive and mature. 

Information out there on this topic seems scant. Best of luck in your endeavors!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

I took 200 to a store so my guess is I have 400 left but I'll post a final count when I bring the rest into a store 

Be sure to count every single shrimp, and count 3 times to be sure. Are you selling them all?

• Haha 1

I have not researched the breeding habits of Nerite snails, but I do know they need brackish water, too.  Maybe do them with the Amano shrimp?  Just a thought. 

I bred White Cloud (golden) outside in a 100 gallon horse tank this year.  They were very prolific.  They are lovely.  I sold most to my LFS.  The few remaining are still in the tub. It got to 106 one day this summer with no effect to the fish that I could tell I did not measure the water temperature but it was probably low 90's at surface. I do not use BLACK tanks because of the extreme heat. I may move them and the horse tank into the garage in November.  My goldfish (which I use as insect control in farm stock tanks that my horse drink from) simply burrow into the leaves at the bottom of the tank when it is freezing weather.  Have not lost any from cold - it once got down to -6, I've just lost a whole tank from heat when they were in a black tank. (It got over 100 for several days.)

• Like 2