Small Dragon stone safe for Betta?

Beccs410

Good afternoon fellow Nerms! I have a quick question as I begin to set up my 10 gallon tank for my halfmoon Betta, Sakura. I've done some research and keep coming across conflicting answers. I was planning on using some small and medium-sized rocks to anchor some java fern and anubias to, as well as to help create a more natural-looking environment for him along with a tall, smooth piece of manzanita driftwood, and I love the look of dragon stone, especially when used with fine sand substrate. I worry, however, about it possibly ripping his fins. I wasn't sure if it would be ok since I'm only using smaller pieces at the bottom of the tank and not using big ones as center pieces like we see in those cool, fancy aquascapes. I'm also using them as "dividers" between my sand at the front of the tank and the little bit of Ecocomplete I'm using in the back of the tank for the stem plants to root in and enjoy. It's a 10 gallon column tank (don't worry, he has a coconut cave that will be suction-cupped towards the top and I'm using tall stem plants he can rest in and on as well), so I figure he won't be spending a whole lot of time at the bottom, which is going to be heavily planted around the rocks and bottom of the driftwood with different crypts and other smaller plants...Any advice?? Anyone have experience with Bettas living happily with dragon stone in their home? Or am I creating a fin rot disaster waiting to happen? I'm not dead set on dragon stone at all, I know Seiryu stone or large river rock stones would be cool, too. Totally open to suggestions as well. 😊

So I have an aquarium with a fair bit dragon stone (maybe 30% of the tank) with a single plakat for about the last two years. So far I have not experienced any issues.  But this is simply my experience over the last two years. 

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's really sharp you could probably use some sandpaper to smooth it out. I too love dragon stone and that's what I would try. Of course if you're a fan of other rocks as well you could get some of those and have peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

Some Bettas seem to have "the cat gene" where they feel compelled to see if they can squeeze into tight places...just because.  I have one such Betta and he's rubbed the top of his body raw several times trying to explore holes in the Mopani wood in his tank.  My suggestion would be to get some coarse black filter foam and cut a piece to press fit into anything that looks like he might be able to squeeze into (look for a large pore foam that's going to feel rough and unappealing to your fish if they were to try to work their body in there).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:34 PM, sudofish said:

If it's really sharp you could probably use some sandpaper to smooth it out. I too love dragon stone and that's what I would try. Of course if you're a fan of other rocks as well you could get some of those and have peace of mind.

@sudofishI was thinking about sanding anything I need to down if I do go with dragon stone. I'm leaning towards playing it safe and doing Seiryu stone instead and save the dragon stone for my bigger community tank where I won't have to worry about long fins! 

My betta Hugo is a halfmoon betta who was in a 5 gallon with dragon stone for about 2 months. I did not see any signs of ripped fins, all though he did develop some finrot (all though I doubt thats connected with the dragon stone, I bought him from a big box store).

image.png.742f844a2b355d8dc4b66bf7585cb762.png

The one thing I did was not to put the stone close together, that way if wanted to go behind there was less of a chance of him rubbing up against it.

• Like 2

@James Black Hugo had a beautiful home for those two months he lived there! That's good to know! I, too, got Sakura from a Big Box Store...I saw him in that cup and I just couldn't leave without him...he looked so pitiful in that dirty water. That's a good idea about the stones being spaced apart...mine would be smaller and spaced, as well as covered by plants and a large Anubias Barteri anchored on a medium sized stone. I'll keep that in mind for sure when I go looking to get the rest of my hardscape this week!

• Like 1