Ranchu goldfish- tank size

Kat_Rigel

I recently bought a ranchu goldfish and he is freaking ADORABLE. I have him in a 20gal bare bottom (for now- I will add decor and potted plants later.) He looks like he has more than enough space and I am thinking of going back to the aquarium store to buy the last one as a buddy for him. People with goldfish experience, do you think a 20gal would be enough for two fatty ranchus, as long as I am diligent about water quality? It would be cool for him to have a buddy. (And btw, that ranchu wiggle?! So cute!!!)

20210520_211606.jpg

IMG_20210520_225529_084.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I recently bought a ranchu goldfish and he is freaking ADORABLE. I have him in a 20gal bare bottom (for now- I will add decor and potted plants later.) He looks like he has more than enough space and I am thinking of going back to the aquarium store to buy the last one as a buddy for him. People with goldfish experience, do you think a 20gal would be enough for two fatty ranchus, as long as I am diligent about water quality? It would be cool for him to have a buddy. (And btw, that ranchu wiggle?! So cute!!!)

20210520_211606.jpg

IMG_20210520_225529_084.jpg

Most goldfish keepers would say NO! Over time, a 20 gal gets cramped. But if you are doing good water maintenance... many unadvisable things are “possible.” We kept a trio of fancy goldfish for awhile in a 20 gal...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Most goldfish keepers would say NO! Over time, a 20 gal gets cramped. But if you are doing good water maintenance... many unadvisable things are “possible.” We kept a trio of fancy goldfish for awhile in a 20 gal...

So what size would you suggest for 2 ranchus? The 20 I have is also a 20 long; sometimes footprint matters more than volume, but since I'm new to goldies I'm not sure.

Or.... I could just get a bigger tank. 🤫

8 minutes ago, Kat_Rigel said:

So what size would you suggest for 2 ranchus? The 20 I have is also a 20 long; sometimes footprint matters more than volume, but since I'm new to goldies I'm not sure.

Or.... I could just get a bigger tank. 🤫

We moved our goldfish along eventually. They can probably go awhile in a small tank, but I think that a 55 gal makes sense. What is do is set up the tank, and get some big, bulletproof plants growing that the goldfish wouldn’t destroy. Anubis’s on wood, stone, etc. maybe Valisneria (needs root tabs). Sponge filtration. You could do big HOBs with coarse predicted sponges and pothos growing out of the top. We found that large water lettuce was calming for them. Wisteria lasted awhile. They’d chew it, but enough grew back that it worked.

I would probably get a 55 gallon (which leaves you enough room for 3 goldfish!). I've been giving serious thought to a goldfish tank, too, and I keep waffling. You can probably get away with a 40 breeder for 2, but 55 will definitely be more comfy and allow you the option of a third buddy.