Hurt gourami

Juan colin

Hello everyone today i decided to turn on my aquarium  lights and found that my gourami was hurt from the side of the body.I believe it was one of my angelfish that did it because he didnt have it before.I just want to know if it is dangerous for him or if i need to act now.ive heard that angelfish and gouramis can be feisty and aggressive but i dont want my fish to be in danger.if anyone has any advice or instructions on what to do i would really appreciate them thank you

72A6539F-181F-4FD2-BFE5-304A4704F008.jpeg

Edited by Juan colin
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Juan colin said:

Hello everyone today i decided to turn on my aquarium  lights and found that my gourami was hurt from the side of the body.I believe it was one of my angelfish that did it because he didnt have it before.I just want to know if it is dangerous for him or if i need to act now.ive heard that angelfish and gouramis can be feisty and aggressive but i dont want my fish to be in danger.if anyone has any advice or instructions on what to do i would really appreciate them thank you

72A6539F-181F-4FD2-BFE5-304A4704F008.jpeg

Sorry about this! There's two things to do here: (1) Care for the hurt fish (2) Determine the culprit. If it is the Angelfish, then it will probably happen again unless you move one or the other. But you say you noticed it after lights on. Were you suspecting something occurred over night? That is uncommon. Usually these fish will go into calm stasis when lights are down. Catfish are awake at that time, however. But perhaps you just noticed it a bit late. I am not entirely convinced it was the angel . . . . I could be wrong. They can certainly have a temper, but that is a unique body-blow. What else is in there?? As for treatment / care, you need to be mindful of infections. Just like we are susceptible to infections, fish also are at risk of bacterial or fungal infections. Changing _some_ water can help to clean it up; however, that can also stress fish. Always best option is to have a quarantine tank where you can calm the wounded fish, carefully monitor it in a safe space, and treat with medicines as needed. Irene ("Girl Talks Fish") made a video awhile back about making a makeshift quarantine space if you do not have a free tank. I'd watch it carefully for a week to see how it does. 

9 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Sorry about this! There's two things to do here: (1) Care for the hurt fish (2) Determine the culprit. If it is the Angelfish, then it will probably happen again unless you move one or the other. But you say you noticed it after lights on. Were you suspecting something occurred over night? That is uncommon. Usually these fish will go into calm stasis when lights are down. Catfish are awake at that time, however. But perhaps you just noticed it a bit late. I am not entirely convinced it was the angel . . . . I could be wrong. They can certainly have a temper, but that is a unique body-blow. What else is in there?? As for treatment / care, you need to be mindful of infections. Just like we are susceptible to infections, fish also are at risk of bacterial or fungal infections. Changing _some_ water can help to clean it up; however, that can also stress fish. Always best option is to have a quarantine tank where you can calm the wounded fish, carefully monitor it in a safe space, and treat with medicines as needed. Irene ("Girl Talks Fish") made a video awhile back about making a makeshift quarantine space if you do not have a free tank. I'd watch it carefully for a week to see how it does. 

Hi thanks for the advice the only fish i have in the tank is 3 angels,3 otocinclus,and one gourami.I assumed it was the angelfish because ive  seen two of them fight in a wierd way.Almost like a betta flaring but except these guys bite eachother.like you suggested i will continue to monitor them and if i see more aggression i will take the gourami out.once again thank you