Where to order fish from in the Midwest?

SpongeFilter

I'm in Wisconsin. I had a bad group of pet store guppies that wiped out a bunch of other stuff before I realized what was going on. I'm treating for ich, I have some erythromycin in the mail, and I'll treat with that when it gets here, but I think I'm done with pet stores. 

Does it matter where I am geographically when ordering fish?

Can I use Aqua-huna even though they're in Washington?

Considering that I'm in Wisconsin, where should I be ordering from?

BTW, I started a quarantine tank to avoid this in the future.

I have only ordered fish out of Florida so far.  The reason for this is they happened to have what I was looking for.  Geographically could play into it in the winter when temperatures are much cooler.  Aqua-hana ships all over and I am looking into ordering from them next.  

I think where you order from depends on what you want.  @Cory mentioned and even walked through a couple of the different online websites this evening on his live stream.  

Just now, jerseychef said:

I have only ordered fish out of Florida so far.  The reason for this is they happened to have what I was looking for.  Geographically could play into it in the winter when temperatures are much cooler.  Aqua-hana ships all over and I am looking into ordering from them next.  

I think where you order from depends on what you want.  @Cory mentioned and even walked through a couple of the different online websites this evening on his live stream.  

I'll check out the recording. Thanks.

I’ve been doing the AquaBid route since COVID shut everything down. I’ve gotten fish from sellers in Upstate NY, Iowa, Western PA, South Carolina, & Florida, plants and miscellaneous supplies from The CO OP in Washington. Considering the issues with the USPS everything except one shipment got here on time. The one that wasn’t on time showed up two days late. Thankfully that had no fish. I live in SE NC, not exactly the center of things.

I feel like it will have more to do with the seller, how they keep their fish, and mail their fish than the physical location. I have ordered from Dan's Fish several times and have been really impressed with his shipping. Cory covered some of this in his video tonight, but I think focusing on finding what you want, asking questions, and looking at reviews will be a good guide.

Im also in WI! Live Aquaria is in Rhinelander WI but I havent ordered from them yet because of shipping cost and I have good luck with my LFS

Cory often mentions Twin Cities Guppies if you are looking for guppies specifically

Edited by Travis

• Administrators

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately I am locking down this thread because it discusses things that are outlined in the guidelines that we don't discuss on this forum. That would be competing companies both positively or negatively. I don't like having to be a cop, however running a forum in where talking about our competitors either positively or negatively is bad for business. We are here to discuss most aspects of the hobby with the limitation it can be a negative to our business if we are investing resources to provide this resource to everyone. 

Thank you

screenshot-forum.aquariumcoop.com-2020.09.14-19_33_31.png