I’m indecisive so I need biased people

AJE

10 gallon stocking thoughts: horned nerite snail, japaneese trapdoor snail, mts, either blue velvet or yellow shrimp and either pygmy cory or clown killi. Help me decide. What shrimp should I get and which fish should I get?

6 minutes ago, Nature Coast Aquariums said:

Well a Japanese trapdoor is probably going to need supplemental feeding or at least more than horned nerite so there's that. but really other than sticking to 1 color shrimp for best results and less culling there's nothing to say all these things couldn't fit into a nice planted 10 gal

Yes. What color of shrimp do you like more and would you go with the killis or corycats 

I'd go with yellow shrimp personally. I found blue shrimp to need a lot of culling to keep their color good, but that just might have been the quality of the ones I had. If you're doing pygmy cories, I don't see why you can't do both them and clown killies. 

• Like 3

If its a planted tank, the yellow shrimp will show up better against the plants. As for the fish unless you are wanting a large number of 1 species for your own preference there is no reason you couldn't go with both, like a group of 6 pygmy cories, a pair of clown killies, and heck even some nano mid water fish like maybe tinwini danio, CPD, or chili rasbora 

• Like 5

Cool I guess I’ll go with yellow shrimp and I’ll feel out the tank to decide on fish stocking. And it is going to be planted pretty heavily.

Edited by AJE

2 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

I'm late to the party, but if you haven't decided yet you might consider your substrate color.  Blue shrimp show up nicely on light substrate, and yellow ones on black.

Oh sure. I actually just bought 50 reds on aqua bid and have dwarf pencil fish and pygmy cories on order at my Lfs so I'll just go with which ever one they can get first

I intentionally used snowball neon yellow Sunkist orange red cherry and blue just so I was guaranteed to get the “wild” color variation (my favorite) and multi colored unusual colored. I also hoped to long term get a sturdier genetic profile..mission accomplished.  Mine overpopulate and are so prolific I give them away and they are still going strong even after a Damselfly batch hatched grrrr. I now do 40 % water changes twice a week due to high waste fish and snails and my shrimp do not spontaneously molt...they love gravel vac and water change days they come flocking front and center to find what juicy tidbits get stirred up.  Have not lost a shrimp to molt issues or death in forever. 

I have both blue velvet and golden back shrimp. I love the color of the blue velvet, when I can see them. But that isn't often. I have more of them, but see them less. 

The golden shrimp on the other hand show up very well in both tanks and on both light and dark substrate. They look awesome either way.  The bonus is when the lights are lower in the evening and that reflective stripe on their backs really pops. 

So even though I don't love the color yellow as I LOVE the color blue, I prefer the gold shrimp. 💛 easier to see = more joy.