What is everyone's favorite hang on back filters?

Steven Fletcher

Aquaclears are my favorite HOB but sponge filters are also really good. Not a bid fan of canisters. Only problem with the aquaclears in my opinion is that they dont come with a prefilter and there is only one standpipe extension. You have to buy a second one separately.

@DaveSamselli have an Aqueon HOB.... do you know how to add media to it without "cramming" it behind the cartridge? Currently I have the Aqueon quiet flow 30 and am using the regular cartridge in the blue plastic biogrid. I tried adding a media bag yesterday and it's such a tight fit it makes me wonder if the water is even flowing through it.

Anyone have experience with Aqueon? I may post start another topic but I wondered if you had done this @DaveSamsell 

51 minutes ago, FishObsessed said:

@DaveSamselli have an Aqueon HOB.... do you know how to add media to it without "cramming" it behind the cartridge? Currently I have the Aqueon quiet flow 30 and am using the regular cartridge in the blue plastic biogrid. I tried adding a media bag yesterday and it's such a tight fit it makes me wonder if the water is even flowing through it.

Anyone have experience with Aqueon? I may post start another topic but I wondered if you had done this @DaveSamsell 

@FishObsessed, With my Aqueon HOB's, I don't use the cartridge & bio-grid system.  It's really a blend of personal preference combined with functionality.  What I use is a pre-filter sponge on the intake, reusable black coarse sponge pads inside also with a small piece of disposable fine poly pad all from @Cory 's Aquarium Co-Op.  Seems to work well for me.  I don't like to cram a lot of media into any HOB, when "hot-rodding" them, since they can potentially flood if backed up and\or cause other issues.    Hope this helps.  😊

• Like 2