What is everyone's favorite hang on back filters?

Steven Fletcher

I loaded up several of my tanks with the Grech CBG-800. It has big rectangular baskets that are just like the AquaClear ones, but includes a surface skimmer and on-board 5w UV sterilizer. A real multi-tasker!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY3YMHG

$50 is not pricey when you consider the combined features. I remove the carbon containers and cut about 3 layers of Aquarium Co-Op coarse sponge, and layer those in first, topped with the white sponge that comes with it. For polishing, I top it off with a piece of blue & white floss.

Turn the water flow down to minimum for the most hang-time with the UV element.

I have three of these in my 20-longs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, Steven Fletcher said:

I'm curious on everyone's favorite hang on back filter. Include pros/cons if you can. I currently have 4 tanks, and on my 40 gallon I decided to try out the Marineland Penguin 375 a while ago. I also bought a Penguin Pro 375 for my 55. The pro mostly seems okay, but I am paranoid that the tubing is going to fall off the pump since it doesn't fully click in (which I have read is a common issue). I have 2 more smaller tanks (10 and 20) that have the smaller versions of them. However, at this point, they are driving me insane. A couple don't prime very well no matter how much water I pour in them. My 375 is loud and rattles now. I tried cleaning it out, including the impeller and reseating it to no success. The biowheels, well whatever, they're there lol. I'm currently considering the Seachem Tidal filters, my only drawback I see with those are of course the price and the fact I can't turn off the surface skimmer. I also like HOBs that have decent room for extra media. I use my own filter floss, sponge filter, and Seachem matrix for biological growth. I wouldn't be buying premade filters. I did have an AquaClear on the 20 gallon in the beginning, and I know many people like it and I love the media room, but they never ever re-prime themselves which is why I took it out of service. So with that being said, what is all of your favorites?

20200914_192103.jpg

I love my Aquaclear 110 it’s amazing I’ve been hearing good things about the tidal though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 3 Aquaclears, a 70 and (2) 20's.  The 70 is a little noisy (the top has a rattle), but the 20's are very quiet.  I like the Aquaclears becasue they are so easy to modify.  For instance, in my 70, I have 2 sponges and Purigen (to take the tannins out) on the inside, but on the 2 20's, I have 1 sponge and a Co-Op pre-filter.   Also, "parts" are VERY easy to get for the Aquaclears.  I'm setting up another tank in November and I'm torn between the Aquaclear 30 and the Tidal 35.  I don't think I've seen a bad review on the Tidal.  Depending on the day, I go back and forth.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that doesn't like Tidal filters? I admit the self priming is nice, but that's about my only pro. I didn't find it to be as quiet as most people seem to (I had the 75). The basket is very awkwardly shaped so custom media needs a lot of custom sizing. The maintenance alert thingy is more gimmicky than useful. My biggest complaint though is that there's no way to turn off the surface skimmer. WHY?! 2 different dials for adjusting flow, and yet neither allow you to turn off the surface skimmer. You can turn off the underwater intake to get 100% flow through the skimmer, but not vice versa. I tried blocking the skimmer intake entirely (perhaps a little too well) while having the underwater intake wide open, and that made the motor sound like it was going to explode. 

On the other hand, I have 2 AC 110s and hardly a complaint. Pair with a pre-filter sponge and they're a dream. I do find that they usually self prime as well. Only real con for me is that they're a bit pricey (though that's true for the tidals as well), which is why I'm using primarily sponge filters now.

I have 2 AquaClears on my 75g. They are plugged into smart plugs so I can turn them off through my phone app when I feed the fish. The app has a timer so I just set it for 5 min and they come right back on. The only time I have to prime them is when I do a water change.

My other tanks all have aquaclears as well, except for one of the 10s has a nano tank filter I got from the co-op to try out.

• Like 2

I liked Marineland but Cory talked me into using the aqua clear and I’m  sure I would have loved it but...ATTENTION CAT OWNERS😼...beware!!! My cat ruined two of these filters before I figured it out!!😩 she pushed the top of the filter off which in turn broke the suction an therefore burnt up the motor!!! An expensive mishap!!😡 Gotta love the fresh running water loving little beast!!!🙄😁 so needless to say I’m back to my Marineland with a cat proof contraption on top of it cuz the little stinker found a way to get into that as well!!!🙄

Edited by Tracey
Can’t spell🙄
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I'm not familiar with the Danner, Where can I find info? NEVER MIND FOUND IT.

Haha I was just getting ready to reply!

I've not gotten the whole "water from bucket back into tank" to work out but the removal of water is amazingly fast!

I also don't use the little insert for gravel vacc'ing (I just use a regular siphon for that! - too much craziness to remove all my media just to insert the "bag" for that.

But makes it easy for when I'm treating the tank and need to do a water change in between treatments or if I'm not gravel vacc'ing that particular day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TifNee837 said:

I love my (Marineland) Emperor 400!

But I also like the water change feature on the Danner 55 E-Z clean!

Thanks everyone for even more responses. I intend to leave this open so everyone can provide input and hopefully it can help someone else out looking for a filter. Perhaps I should have started a poll lol. So far it seems like I will have to give AquaClear another try. I just looked up the Danner, which I had never heard of it, and that is a really cool concept!

16 minutes ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I still think when I move on from my Aquacllear it will be to a tidal, but that is definitely something to look at.  Can you use outsourced foam and floss, or do you have to use proprietary media?  

I use sponges (coarse and medium), a media bag with {some} crushed coral, a second media bag with bio rings, and floss 😊

• Thanks 1

I like AquaClear. However, recently, a 6-month old AquaClear 50 starting having a problem. When I unplug it and change out media, the filter would not start. I had to spin the impeller around manually, then plug it in and 99% of the time it will begin working. Otherwise, I have to repeat the process. 

• Like 1