What is everyone's favorite hang on back filters?

Steven Fletcher

I'm curious on everyone's favorite hang on back filter. Include pros/cons if you can. I currently have 4 tanks, and on my 40 gallon I decided to try out the Marineland Penguin 375 a while ago. I also bought a Penguin Pro 375 for my 55. The pro mostly seems okay, but I am paranoid that the tubing is going to fall off the pump since it doesn't fully click in (which I have read is a common issue). I have 2 more smaller tanks (10 and 20) that have the smaller versions of them. However, at this point, they are driving me insane. A couple don't prime very well no matter how much water I pour in them. My 375 is loud and rattles now. I tried cleaning it out, including the impeller and reseating it to no success. The biowheels, well whatever, they're there lol. I'm currently considering the Seachem Tidal filters, my only drawback I see with those are of course the price and the fact I can't turn off the surface skimmer. I also like HOBs that have decent room for extra media. I use my own filter floss, sponge filter, and Seachem matrix for biological growth. I wouldn't be buying premade filters. I did have an AquaClear on the 20 gallon in the beginning, and I know many people like it and I love the media room, but they never ever re-prime themselves which is why I took it out of service. So with that being said, what is all of your favorites?

20200914_192103.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Penguin 350 I think that has worked decently.  However no matter what i do one of the biowheels refuses to spin.  I have another penguin on a 20g that I have had nothing but problems with.  I had to return the first one to amazon 3 days after I set it up.  The replacement one works for a couple hours at a time before it shuts off.  In order for it to turn back on I have to lift the intake tube/impeller.  Once I lift it 2 inches or so the filter kicks on.  Luckily I have a sponge filter in that tank as well.  

My personal favorite is my aquaclear 110.  It is extremely quiet as long as my water level hasn't declined too much.  I know a lot of people say it doesn't restart after a power outage but I haven't experienced it.  Today I lost power while I was out of the house.  As soon as i got home I went to my tank expecting to have to reprime it, but it was still running.  Not sure if I was just lucky but so far so good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jerseychef said:

I have a Penguin 350 I think that has worked decently.  However no matter what i do one of the biowheels refuses to spin.  I have another penguin on a 20g that I have had nothing but problems with.  I had to return the first one to amazon 3 days after I set it up.  The replacement one works for a couple hours at a time before it shuts off.  In order for it to turn back on I have to lift the intake tube/impeller.  Once I lift it 2 inches or so the filter kicks on.  Luckily I have a sponge filter in that tank as well.  

My personal favorite is my aquaclear 110.  It is extremely quiet as long as my water level hasn't declined too much.  I know a lot of people say it doesn't restart after a power outage but I haven't experienced it.  Today I lost power while I was out of the house.  As soon as i got home I went to my tank expecting to have to reprime it, but it was still running.  Not sure if I was just lucky but so far so good.

Thanks for the input. If I had to guess, when you pull the impeller up it helps seat it correctly into the housing. I found with mine if I lift it the noise stops, but then pushing it back in, it is loud again which tells me it's hitting the caging. I think it's just the poor design of how the impeller goes into the housing and then pushes into the cage. I had the AquaClear 30 and every time I did a water change I had to fight it to get it going again which is why I was leery of buying any of their other ones. I like their design a lot other than the pump being on the outside. Maybe I'll buy just one to test it out. 

I personally like the aquaclear HOBs for hot-rodding ability for my needsand simple of operation ( few parts easily replaceable and I can see through the box into the basket). I run two of the 110s, 50s and 70s with no trouble in 3 years.Not very long but they work great for me. I mostly run them with the intake sponges from the coop, the sponge brick from aquaclear, and cut filter pad sheets from the coop bottom of the basket is the course pads leading up to the polishing fine pads at the top (depending on which i want for that particular tank) sponges and course pads for biological and polyfill mostly for the mechanical. As needed I will also add in the poly-bio marine poly filter pad from either toward the top of the media basket or bend it around the intake tube in that part of the box if I need that type of removal of meds or general badness. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steven Fletcher said:

Thanks for the input. If I had to guess, when you pull the impeller up it helps seat it correctly into the housing. I found with mine if I lift it the noise stops, but then pushing it back in, it is loud again which tells me it's hitting the caging. I think it's just the poor design of how the impeller goes into the housing and then pushes into the cage. I had the AquaClear 30 and every time I did a water change I had to fight it to get it going again which is why I was leery of buying any of their other ones. I like their design a lot other than the pump being on the outside. Maybe I'll buy just one to test it out. 

I had originally bought a aqua clear 70 to put on my 75 since I had a couple other filters on it. I had everything cut to size and rinsed off. I went to put it onto my 75g and it wouldn’t fit. My 75 has a rim on the inside that wouldn’t allow for the intake tube to fit. 

• Like 1

I only use sponge filters right now because running 16 tanks with HOBs can be a bit much for me. But I did have a planted 29 gallon and i had the Penguin 50 i want to say, work great for a while then it started to get really loud, then i switched to the Aquaclear 50 and I loved it. I love the design , its really quiet and it pulls a lot of debris out the tank. I used two of the sponges it came with and the ceramic bio media and just squeezed the sponges out every few weeks or so. Hope this helps!

• Like 3

Whenever I need a HOB I grab a Aquaclear. Lots of room for custom filter media. You can get parts for them at most fish stores. Downside they sometimes dont prime on their own and you want to find a trinket to set on top of the lid to prevent rattle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always been a big fan of aqua clear. My first one lasted forever. However I will warn, I’ve noticed the quality go down hill the past few years personally. I’m not sure if it’s been bad luck or an actual quality control issue. I run sponge filters in all my aquariums now, with the exception of my display tank in my living room. That is still running an aqua clear 50 and I have no plans of doing away with it. But I do plan on adding a sponge filter additionally to that one as well:)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Daydreamer311 said:

I’ve always been a big fan of aqua clear. My first one lasted forever. However I will warn, I’ve noticed the quality go down hill the past few years personally. I’m not sure if it’s been bad luck or an actual quality control issue. I run sponge filters in all my aquariums now, with the exception of my display tank in my living room. That is still running an aqua clear 50 and I have no plans of doing away with it. But I do plan on adding a sponge filter additionally to that one as well:)

I run my AC50 with a sponge from ACO

• Like 1

My Marineland 150 biowheel was nice and quiet when filled up to output, but loud once the biowheel itself developed dripping sounds. Today I switched to a 100 biowheel which better suits bettas in a 20 gallon, and there is a loud dripping sound no matter what I do. Will try an Aquaclear 20.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

YouTubers have seemingly fallen in love with the SeaChem Tidal series.  Anyone have experience with them?

I've been running a Tidal 55 on a 29 gallon for about a month or so.  I have no complaints.  It's got a big filter box, self-primes, and is easily customized.  I don't have a problem with the surface skimmer... but I could see that could be an issue if you have a lot of floating plants.

• Like 1

I have used under-gravel, canister, internal, and foam filters. I have researched hang-on-back filters, but never tried one. I got a Top Fin PF20 as part of a kit, since it was the only cheap way to get a black silicone 20H. I already have a pair of Co-Op Nano Sponge Filters picked out for this tank, and a 24" Fluval 3.0, so everything from the kit will probably go into storage. However, I still wanted to check out the filter, and I may see what AquaClear foam fits in it. Here are some photos:

IMG_1543.jpeg.68c915667f93bb5906f2622e2e709310.jpeg

IMG_1547.jpeg.e32c11dcea1d36ee4aed724e71fa18a6.jpeg

• Like 1