Japanese rice fish eggs while in quarantine!

Diving Aquarist

Last week I got my first Medaka (Jap. rice fish), and they are now in quarantine tubs for a little more then a week. A few days ago I put spawning mops in both tanks (I have 2 variants), so they can get used to them. To my surprise I saw in my 'Tancho' tub that a few females were carrying eggs! I fed them frozen cyclops yesterday to see how they eat those, so maybe that triggered them. The adults still need to colour up a bit, so I didn't expect this at all. I have some baby food from Tetra (pretty much a powder) when they actually hatch. Even though I somehow expect them to be duds, I'll get a fry tank ready so I can put the mop in there in about a week after I see the first egg deposits. I'll see if I can get my artemia discs to produce some nauplii (BBS) in a test run.

Anyone experienced in hatching and rearing these guys?

Picture is not the best, since the tub is not the most transparent, but the eggs are obvious.

0D8A0223.JPG

• Like 2

Yes. I saw my pregnant ricefish with eggs hanging off it so I netted it out into a 5 gallon. It dropped the eggs on a large portion of java moss that I had in the tank. I raised 13 fry in the 5 gallon with a sponge filter. I also had around 25 cherry shrimp in the tank. The ricefish fry are tiny and I fed them Hikari first bites, shrimp fit, and baby shrimp food mostly.

Besides them being tiny to start, I think they're pretty hardy fish and are easy to raise as long as your water quality is good and your filter isn't too strong. My rice fish have eggs a few times a month and they have eggs every morning for a few days at a time when they're breeding.

Edited by Sunset Coral
  • Like 1

First off congrats on the eggs! It’s super exciting and fun to see (imo)! But I too have had a similar fun experience with my orange medaka rice fish (Japanese rice fish). Mine are still growing out in my 5.5gallon tank before I was going to move the 5 into a 10gallon. I noticed one female has been having eggs hanging off of her so I put a small mop into the tank and I’ve been getting about 3-5 eggs a day. I’ve actually been picking the eggs and keeping them in a plastic deli cup with tank water in as I saw John Stoller do in the fish room tour in lrb aquatics video he had over there. I did place 3 in meth blue because I notice the vary first group of eggs funguses up. 

but yeah I’ve been pulling my eggs even if it’s only been a couple! Idk how long eggs take to hatch though so we’ll see how that goes?!?!

Good luck my friend and keep us posted on if you have any luck getting the eggs to hatch! 😊 

I read somewhere that it takes about a week for eggs to hatch, so I'll remove the spawning mop in a few days and put it in a dedicated tank. I made a bunch of floating spawning mops, so I can rotate around every week. I don't have methylene blue, but I'll try it with a bit of eSHa 2000 (against finrot, fungust etc.), see what that does.

I've started breeding my ricefish fairly recently. I have the adults in a 20 long with a spawning mop, then every 2 weeks or so I take the mop out and put it into the hatching tank and put a fresh spawning mop in the breeding tank. I just swap back and forth while also removing the larger juveniles as they age to they don't go after the fry. Things breed like rabbits! 

• Like 2

Just found the first fry today! I've seen a few eggs with visible eyes in them, so they should hatch within a few days. I tried the TetraMin baby food, and it looks too big. I'll be looking for Hikari first bites (found that many people advise that food) and see how that goes. I've reared small newt larvae in the past, but damn, these things are tiny 😆. I did put a small dose of eSHa 2000 with the eggs, and so far so good, I guess. I'll also go for small water changes every day.

I checked the spawning mop from my 'Galaxy' medaka as well, and found eggs there too, so they get a separate container to hatch. When I have a bunch of fry of roughly the same size, I'll put them in the same tank. By the time they could breed, I've long separated them. (not that I don't want to try and make 'galaxy tancho' medaka, but that is for later.)

0D8A0234.JPG