Putting Pieces of Sponge Filter Media into HOB Filter

BigRedd

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a good bit of sponge filter media and put some in my filter intake. I was wondering if it's beneficial to also put some sponge filter media into a HOB filter in addition to filter cartridges I'm using. I don't know if there's such a thing as 'over filtering' but just wanted to check if this is beneficial or if I am wasting my sponge filter media. 

The sponge filter media just sits on the bottom of the HOB filter and some water passes through it in addition to filter cartridge.  I figured it gives more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow and will help filter the water some more. Is this correct? 

The pieces of sponge filter media are around 4-5 inches across and currently has some muddy looking stuff on it. I'm guessing it's decaying bio-mass from plants?
PXL_20210518_125905779.jpg.08457c4d5c21d3aef6a5112820cdd0b0.jpg

Edited by BigRedd

18 minutes ago, BigRedd said:

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a good bit of sponge filter media and put some in my filter intake. I was wondering if it's beneficial to also put some sponge filter media into a HOB filter in addition to filter cartridges I'm using. I don't know if there's such a thing as 'over filtering' but just wanted to check if this is beneficial or if I am wasting my sponge filter media. 

The sponge filter media just sits on the bottom of the HOB filter and some water passes through it in addition to filter cartridge.  I figured it gives more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow and will help filter the water some more. Is this correct? 

The pieces of sponge filter media are around 4-5 inches across and currently has some muddy looking stuff on it. I'm guessing it's decaying bio-mass from plants?
PXL_20210518_125905779.jpg.08457c4d5c21d3aef6a5112820cdd0b0.jpg

You’re right the sponge is great for mechanical and biological filtration. In fact I would ditch the cartridges and just use sponges instead. No need to waste money on cartridges, unless you really need the carbon. Since you have a planted tank, I wouldn’t think you want carbon. 

Edited by Sun.singh1991
  • Like 2

I have this filter setup as well. However, I filled the space to the left (in your photo) of the cartridge with sponge so the water flows thru the coarse sponge first, then the cartridge for polishing.  Also, I no longer buy the disposable cartridges. When the ones I had were gross, I cut the media off of the plastic frame and now use that to hold whatever cut-to-fit floss, carbon infused media, or other filter media as needed. I use plain dental floss to “sew” it to the frame so it stays put. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sun.singh1991 said:

You’re right the sponge is great for mechanical and biological filtration. In fact I would ditch the cartridges and just use sponges instead. No need to waste money on cartridges, unless you really need the carbon. 

So would I want to use something as my mechanical filtration? I've got this product: https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Experts-Aquarium-Biological-Mechanical/dp/B08FRQB9FF/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And it says that it's not recommended for mechanical filtration, and to use something else first for the mechanical filtration or it might clog somewhat easily...Don't know if I need something in-front of the sponge or if they are just trying to sell their other products.

Only reason I'm still using those cartridges is because I bought them when I first got my aquarium so might as well use them up

Edited by BigRedd

7 minutes ago, LaurieinIA said:

I have this filter setup as well. However, I filled the space to the left (in your photo) of the cartridge with sponge so the water flows thru the coarse sponge first, then the cartridge for polishing.  Also, I no longer buy the disposable cartridges. When the ones I had were gross, I cut the media off of the plastic frame and now use that to hold whatever cut-to-fit floss, carbon infused media, or other filter media as needed. I use plain dental floss to “sew” it to the frame so it stays put. 

Have you had any issues with the sponge clogging? I've got a lot of plants in my tank and the decaying bio-mass might end up clogging it over-time.. not sure...

I've got 20ppi sponge and on the website it says to use a more coarse filter media prior to the sponge. I'm definitely looking to ditch the cartridges and upgrade my filtering. Good idea with keeping the frame though to make it easy to take it in and out

Edited by BigRedd

12 minutes ago, BigRedd said:

Have you had any issues with the sponge clogging? I've got a lot of plants in my tank and the decaying bio-mass might end up clogging it over-time.. not sure...

No, I haven’t, but I do have a Coop pre-filter sponge on the intake, too.  I don’t know the ppi of the sponge inside the filter off the top of my head.  For both, when they start looking gunked up, I just give them a good “shake & squeeze” in the bucket when I’m doing a water change. 

• Like 1

So this is what I ended up doing. I got a bulk thing of filter media that I cutout into the shape of the cartridges I was using, and I put this before the sponge filter media. I believe the white mechanical media starts out very coarse on the side closest to the incoming water and gets finer as it goes through it. Then it goes into my biological filtration, the sponge filter media. The reason
I chose this order is because I don't want the sponge clogging up with dead plant matter. I've got a heavily planted tank and don't want the sponge to clog up because I've read it can kill the bacteria by basically suffocating them if it gets so clogged.
PXL_20210520_120313359.jpg.ff1ec01d233e7af0cdf0416cca1139a0.jpg

Edited by BigRedd

Good idea to replace the cartridges entirely with sponge. You can really customize your filtration more than you might think with those things. Look on youtube for things like hotrodding a filter or pimp my filter etc. Cory has at least one video on it as well. It certainly saves a lot of money along with getting superior filtration imo.

• Like 1