How long does it take for Bristlenose eggs to hatch?

Yanni

My bristlenose plecos just recently laid eggs! They were still fairly small (about 2 inches) so I wasn't expecting any eggs. They laid eggs about 2-3 days ago so how long does it usually take for the eggs to hatch? Also, what can I feed them once they hatch? Thank you in advance. 

Depending on temp you may have wrigglers in the next 24-48 hours. But they’ll eat the egg sack for the next 3-4 days after that. Id pull them and put them in a separate tank with some wood if you plan on trying to raise them all.  And you can feed them anything really. Flake, pleco tablets, I often feed canned green beans. Best of luck 

• Like 1

Depending on temp you may have wrigglers in the next 24-48 hours. But they’ll eat the egg sack for the next 3-4 days after that. Id pull them and put them in a separate tank with some wood if you plan on trying to raise them all.  And you can feed them anything really. Flake, pleco tablets, I often feed canned green beans. Best of luck 

Is it possible for them to stay in the tank I have them in currently? I have them in a 40 gallon with shrimp, snails, and guppies. 

IMG_1983.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yanni said:

Is it possible for them to stay in the tank I have them in currently? I have them in a 40 gallon with shrimp, snails, and guppies. 

IMG_1983.jpg

I would leave in the main tank as you only have shrimp and guppy's they will do fine with mum and dad

• Like 1

I would leave in the main tank as you only have shrimp and guppy's they will do fine with mum and dad

Thanks! I'll keep them in the tank this time, if it doesn't work out, I'll try a different method next time. 

• Like 1

Regarding green beans as food for baby plecos, mine have a hard time with the green bean skin on whole green beans. They'll readily gulp down the interiors of the French-style ones however. So, if you have the option, buy the French-style green beans for the baby plecos. The snails will come along and consume the skins later or you can scoop them out. One more thing, if your shrimp are Amano shrimp, they could prey upon the baby plecos. Other shrimp are pretty safe, but Amano shrimp have been known to hunt and kill fry.