Optimal temp for corydoras habrosus

andieb

Happy Monday to you. 

Looking online I'm seeing a lot of differing information about what temp to keep corydoras habrosus at. Does anyone know what temp they thrive at tho? Thank you! 

Temps listed on various sites:

- 20 – 26 °C / 68 - 79 ° F

- 22° - 25° C / 72° - 79° F

- 25°C - 27°C / 77°F - 80°F

- 22° - 30°C / 72 – 86 °F

Optional rant about my personal experience that you can ignore: 

From my personal experience I have a feeling that cooler is better for habrosus. I had my tank at 78 °F, and my cories were dying from fungus/lethargy one by one each week. I heard that fungus likes higher temps so I lowered the temp to 76 °F and the deaths abruptly stopped and my remaining 4 corys have survived for the past 2-3 weeks. 

However in my desperation to stop the deaths, I threw scientific method out the window and at the same time that I lowered the temp, I also: added 3 tsp of aragonite to the filter which seems to have stabilized the pH and increased KH from practically 0 to ~3 KH and slowly rising,  started gravel vac'ing aggressively once a week, and added a sponge filter on the still side of the tank to increase circulation near the substrate. 

So I have no ability to know if lowering the temp is what stopped the deaths. Possibly these 4 corys were just the healthiest/hardiest to begin with and they survived on their own vim and vigor. 

Also completely unscientific but I’m currently keeping habrosus cories at 78 for the last month or so and haven’t had issues.  They live with a betta hence the higher temp. 
when I did have issues was when they were in the quarantine tank that was relatively new and unstable. I lost almost half of my first group of 7 that I bought, with only 4 remaining too. There were a variety of symptoms including fungus and lethargy. 
I got another group of 5 from the same place and put them directly in the established tank (I trust the store) and have had zero losses.  My guess is that this species is sensitive and needs stable water parameters. 
I am also baffled by the wildly ranging temps you can find online but you are probably right that something in the mid-70s is preferable. 
good luck and I hope your cories are out of the woods!

Edited by SWilson
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SWilson said:

Also completely unscientific but I’m currently keeping habrosus cories at 78 for the last month or so and haven’t had issues.  They live with a betta hence the higher temp. 
when I did have issues was when they were in the quarantine tank that was relatively new and unstable. I lost almost half of my first group of 7 that I bought, with only 4 remaining too. There were a variety of symptoms including fungus and lethargy. 
I got another group of 5 from the same place and put them directly in the established tank (I trust the store) and have had zero losses.  My guess is that this species is sensitive and needs stable water parameters. 
I am also baffled by the wildly ranging temps you can find online but you are probably right that something in the mid-70s is preferable. 
good luck and I hope your cories are out of the woods!

Thanks so much!

Sorry to hear about your losses but glad to hear that your newest additions are doing well. 

That's interesting to hear that maybe the instability was the problem, and that would make sense in my case because my pH kept steadily decreasing between water changes but now that I added the aragonite the pH has been dead-on. I also added water lettuce which has kept nitrates consistently super low. 

I'm planning to add more habrosus, and this time I'll try adding them straight to my established tank and see how they do. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 1