Future 75 gallon tank

RyanU

I plan on setting up a 75 gallon tank in the near future and was going to let the aquariumcoop forum build it. Everything from substrate and decor to filtration,live stock and lighting. 

I would like to have live plants and a lot of color.

Ready go....

• Like 1

Nice! I love my 75, it's such a great size without being too tall for me to reach the bottom (though I do get wet armpits). Definitely take advantage of the bigger size and get plants that get BIG, like amazon swords, crinum, jungle val or madagascar lace. Maybe look into getting rocks from a local landscape supply to create an interesting hardscape. 

As for stocking, there's so many options! Did you want to do a theme or just whatever is suggested that sounds the most fun/interesting?

• Like 2

I like the community theme but I would like to have some very vibrant fish. My wife is gracious enough to let me get another tank so I figured I should take her request into the tank. She would like colorful fish. I know you can get that with cichlids but that would be all I can put in the tank

• Like 1

Perhaps think about a small (body size, not body count) tetra community tank in the 75 gallon.  A heavily planted tank with things mentioned in other posts, populated with hordes of tetras!  A large tank with a horde of neon, cardinal, rummy nose, lemon, neon green (and any other ones in that size range that are community safe)!  Most of the smaller tetras tend to be very sociable, and will school with their own species, and shoal with other species.  I'd also get a bottom dwelling crew of otocinclus and corydoras.  Many fish stores I have visited have a large neon/cardinal tetra planted tank, and despite being common fish you see everywhere, seeing them in large numbers in a planted environment is always a sight to behold.

I personally think a large number of smaller fish is far more interesting to watch and enjoy than a few larger fish.  With larger numbers, you can start to see some of the fish's social behavior really start to take shape.

As for filtration...  I'd consider doing some sponge filters, ideally hidden behind the larger piles of plants, perhaps with a hang on back for some water movement/water polishing.

• Like 1

With a lot of plants, you could probably push up to 75 total tetras easily (as long as you don't introduce them all at once!) and probably beyond.  (I would lean more on the advice of forum members with more experience with larger tanks, however).  You might want to investigate tetra compatibility a bit more; I mostly just listed off all the smaller-ish tetras that popped into my mind right away.  I know some can be a bit more nippy than others, but most small tetras are super chill.  You could also get a reasonable number of corys, otos, and some (smaller) plecos as well.  

I like a nature style aquascape with tons of plant variety. My 75 is scaped with driftwood and round stones in a sort of triangle shaped river style. 
I have tall stem plants in the back, epiphytes and moss on the hard scape and Tiger Lotus in the front. I’ll later add more low plants on the right.

BDC2B993-16A2-436A-8994-A242D8FFE642.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G

4 hours ago, RyanU said:

What if I mixed. Neon, cardinal, ember rummy nose and lemon

I think 12-15 of each. I’d choose either Neons or Cardinals since they look similar. An Angel would be a great centerpiece and add some Otocinclus and your favorite Corydoras too. 

Yea after saying that I realized neon and cardinals looked the same. For the hard scape do I need to look out for sending specific. If I just go pick up river rock should I stay away from a certain type

I just went and picked up some Puget Sound beach stones that aren’t reactive, but there’s online instructions on testing your local stones if you’re not sure they’re safe.                                                    If you want something really cool, fish stores carry several types of beautiful  aquascaping stone but it isn’t cheap if you’re scaping a 4’ tank. 

Edited by Patrick_G

Just saw a video of prime time aquatics that you can get some stone from Lowe’s type In “brown garden rock” and it’s dragon stone. It is like a $1 a pound and free shipping. Also has bigger pieces like 8-12 inches. 

• Like 1

I like the tetra idea. Another option for a centre piece fish is a group of pearl gourmis. They might be too small though... but if I had a bigger tank, that's what I'd want. I love putting smaller fish in a big tank, especially things like gourmis cause I love seeing them explore every part of the tank. An option for the corys is corydoras julii, I think they're so cute and pretty. Your theme could be spots maybe lol

• 3 weeks later...

You can do it! Took me a while to be financially ready for it though, but then again this is the tank I was planning for decades whilst I meddled with Discus, other South American large cichlids, Japanese Aquascaping, Dutch Style, full circle back to the tiny colorful fish that got me into keeping fish.

PS: I saw you were contemplating keeping Cardinals together with Neons, Embers, and Lemon Tetras. I would advise against the Neons, they tend to like different water parameters then the Cardinals, but you could consider the Green Neons, or Black Neons. I've kept them before with Cardinals.

Edited by Jungle Fan
PS