Hello, just started a new tank

Lehob

Big hello to everyone,

I’m a new fish hobbyist and new tank owner and gone from a 40ltr to a 105ltr tank. I’ve just started to use fluval cycle 2days in 1 day to go, my concern is will the tank be cycled as it states using fluval for 3 days as I have adult and baby minnows and red  cherry shrimp to add.
PH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates 0 ppm

Tank water and setup is 2 days old Picture provided below  

As I am new here if there are any guides on tank cycling I would be most grateful Thankyou for your time and reading this everyone 

78BF3DF0-8D41-4272-8137-0D56A1A96137.jpeg

Edited by Lehob

It’s really not possible to get a tank cycled in 3 days, no matter how you go about it.

A properly cycled tank means that there was initial ammonia source, followed by “conversion” to nitrite, then nitrate production.  The environment cannot be considered cycled until those 3 things happen, and then the ammonia and nitrite levels are reduced to zero, leaving just the presence of nitrate.

At that point you could perform a partial water change to dilute the nitrates (if outside of acceptable range) and start to populate.

It doesn’t appear you introduced any ammonia source to even get the cycle started.

Fluval makes makes no claim that the tank will be properly cycled after 3 days, but only that it will be “safe to add fish”.

Unfortunately, “safe” is in the eye of the beholder in this case.  If you read between the lines, a “Fluval Cycle” is one where the fish provide the ammonia necessary to start the conventional nitrogen cycle.  Whether they will be “safe” in the midst of that, is up for debate.

• Like 2

Congratulations on joining the hobby! You came to the right forum. First thing I suggest you do is get more information on "The Cycle". Google things such as "aquarium nitrogen cycle" or look up videos on YouTube. I'm sure someone smarter than me will post a link to a video by Aquarium Coop that does a great job explaining it. And keep coming back to this forum with any questions or concerns you have!

Ahh I did it!

Edited by JaredL
  • Like 2

Thankyou for your advise Gentleman it seems I need to do more research it’s very easy to get lost on information and picking the right route (fish-less cycle seems to be the first good decision I’ve made so far) I’m most grateful for your help. No1 I want the environment to be safe for the fish so that is priority, and as mentioned above the cycle but be established to the point of ammonia been broken down  will read more on this thanks guys

fluval cycle is bottled bacteria, it helps to skip the "cycle" process. the cycle is just the long drawn out process of the aquarium developing its own bacteria. you have added bacteria, you need to feed it or it will die off. either via fish in the tank pooping etc, or crushing up some flake food for the bacteria to feed on (break down).  with bottled bacteria, you can "cycle" a tank in a few hours. having plants in the tank is a great start also.

• Like 1