We don't ship live fish

• Administrators

Hello everyone, 

Unfortunately we don't ship live fish. Our stock lists are for our retail store customers. They are posted once when the shipment comes in and not updated after that. If you're looking to purchase live fish and live outside of Washington state, you can get more information from our web page on sources to buy fish. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/live-fish

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Edward Steven said:

Hey Cory, I was trying to figure out why Aqua Huna won't ship in Washington now that Walmart doesn't carry fish and there exclusivity contract was null.

I heard they had a new agreement with a client in Washington that was buying a lot from them. Is it you?

They service most fish stores in Washington state. Typically retail stores won't buy from someone who is selling to their customer. I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't partner with them if they were selling to my retail customers also. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would find it incredibly  useful if more sites where recommended  by you. I live in east TN and have a few good fish options in the  area but some of the more specific fish intend to want to get are either unavailable or super expensive here. None of the stores here treat fish preemptively all either don't quarantine or only have a monitoring period. I would live to have a online store thats cory approved in addition  to aqua huna.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben Ellison said:

I would find it incredibly  useful if more sites where recommended  by you. I live in east TN and have a few good fish options in the  area but some of the more specific fish intend to want to get are either unavailable or super expensive here. None of the stores here treat fish preemptively all either don't quarantine or only have a monitoring period. I would live to have a online store thats cory approved in addition  to aqua huna.

I feel like the Co-Op is only really going to be able to recommend wholesalers, like Aqua Huna.  Otherwise they would have to spend a lot of time vetting stores that they wouldn't normally do a lot of business with.

I do like the idea of a community sourced option though. Like a dedicated area where we could post about good and bad experiences with stores. I could still see an avenue for abuse there, but with this community, I feel that it would be pretty low.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a petco about an hour away, a petsmart an hour the other direction and that's it. The nearest actual fish store is about an hour and a half drive, so I have bought all my fish and shrimp online... granted that's a pretty small amount. I have only bought two orders of shrimp and two orders of guppies so far, but I am happy with the 3 different places I bought from and wouldn't mind sharing my experience.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:05 PM, Cory said:

They service most fish stores in Washington state. Typically retail stores won't buy from someone who is selling to their customer. I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't partner with them if they were selling to my retail customers also. 

Thank you for explaining. The alternative is to order fish out of state which doesn't help WA businesses but I guess it makes sense to avoid drama over competition.

I usually make the drive to Aquarium Coop because I know the extra time and cost worth it. I feel bad for those who don't have this option. 😞

Edited by Grubhead
Read the full guidelines and realize we can't share links to unapproved resources for WA residents to buy fish.

1 hour ago, Grubhead said:

Oops! Thank you for letting me know.

I saw the forum on mobile first and there's a link to the video "Watch our video on the rules of this forum" at the top, which I did watch, but maybe we could get that link set to the Guidelines page instead (which also includes the video)?

I have reviewed the guidelines. 🙂

No worries!

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, Grubhead said:

Thank you for explaining. The alternative is to order fish out of state which doesn't help WA businesses but I guess it makes sense to avoid drama over competition.

I usually make the drive to Aquarium Coop because I know the extra time and cost worth it. I feel bad for those who don't have this option. 😞

Exactly, I feel it's like bull shit if you think about it

Ordering from whole sale is different from buying from local stores, when I want to buy 50 fishes I just won't purchase from local stores since I can get them a lot cheaper online. If they don't ship to WA I will just order from out of state wholesalers, it's not like they are the only option, and all of them have same shipping fee to all states anyway. It's just if they can ship locally, I can get them faster and maybe less chance for them to die.

Plus many people order online because they don't have access to many specific fishes from LFS

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

When will Aq COOP open an east coast location?

On 6/27/2021 at 9:08 AM, laritheloud said:

Please....

Though I too am from the eastern parts of the state I do believe Cory has mentioned multiple times that he don’t want to franchise, it would take away from his home store where he lives and focus his business that’s how he is able to do these tours and videos we love so much I think had also mentioned if anything at all he might try to sale to other local fish stores but then that store would have to up charge etc and in truth it’s just cheaper to order dry goods and plants through his site. To conclude I to would love to buy a fish from Cory just to say I did because I know the quality would be the best it could be but I’ll accept what I can get rather the knowledge the products or the relationships we make in this fish community meeting through the forum and in YouTube 😉😊❤️❤️❤️🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮

Edited by Casual aquatics
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was wondering, has anyone from out of town bought fish while visiting the co op? I'm coming through in September and know I'll be tempted, but I don't want to impulse buy an animal and figure out how to take it on an airplane!! Anybody have any suggestions or experience they might share? Thanks!! 

On 7/19/2021 at 2:31 AM, Casual aquatics said:

Though I too am from the eastern parts of the state I do believe Cory has mentioned multiple times that he don’t want to franchise

I also believe that once a company attains a certain size, there is almost always a downward slide of its original intent, high quality products, and especially high quality service. To me it's mostly because there end up being "too many cooks in the kitchen" - competing ideas and plans and actions taken by middle managers as the owner necessarily becomes less and less involved in decision-making. Those middle managers are sometimes pretty cut-throat with each other and might not be so nice to the "lower" employees, and the good ones in both groups start to look elsewhere when morale falls. Get public stockholders or franchises involved, and there could be all kinds of new problems. I watched it happen with the only specialty frozen food company I really, really loved - as soon as it was "available in every grocery store", the price dropped by 50 cents a box, but the quality absolutely plummeted. We all want an Aquarium Co-Op in our area, but would it really be THE Aquarium Co-Op? It would be an almost impossible but spectacular achievement if Cory could pull it off. I don't think he wants to take that ride based on what he's said in the livestreams. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 12:06 AM, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I wish I was a retail customer of yours, but due to distance I can only buy things from Co-op online (which I do, a lot, big fan).

I only have 1 LFS down here and they use the crappy wholesalers in Portland that Walmart used before Aqua Huna ...

Back to Aquabid lol

If you are in southern WA near Portland, why not drive to the Co-op?

I used to live in Maple Falls, and would stop in Edmonds on the way home from NM. Hey Cory & @Zenzo, y'all could hang a global map in the store, and start adding push pins for where people are from who visit. 

Señor Frogs used to do that in Cancun, and you recently had a customer from 2,000 miles. I mean, that actually might be cool?

[ @Mr. Ed's Aquatics I'm teasing you. I do understand how frustrating it can be to feel so close, yet so far. ]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, Rikostan said:

I feel like the Co-Op is only really going to be able to recommend wholesalers, like Aqua Huna.  Otherwise they would have to spend a lot of time vetting stores that they wouldn't normally do a lot of business with.

I do like the idea of a community sourced option though. Like a dedicated area where we could post about good and bad experiences with stores. I could still see an avenue for abuse there, but with this community, I feel that it would be pretty low.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a petco about an hour away, a petsmart an hour the other direction and that's it. The nearest actual fish store is about an hour and a half drive, so I have bought all my fish and shrimp online... granted that's a pretty small amount. I have only bought two orders of shrimp and two orders of guppies so far, but I am happy with the 3 different places I bought from and wouldn't mind sharing my experience.

I can relate to that drive I drive 2 hours to a decent fish store in South Carolina