Calling a SOS need HELP with Sick baby BN Pleco

MollyMomma

On 11/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Hobbit said:

It’s very possible your pleco has an immune system deficiency. It happens in people—it can presumably happen in fish!

Hoping for good results form the medicated food.

Thanks! I'm going to try the API fin & body cure next. And then if that does NOT work.. I will move on to medicated fish flakes. A member reached out to me privately with more info on them.

Honestly, I'm surprised ANY of the fish have survived through this entire ordeal. It's been crazy! I will probably never order fish online again because of it. But I just want to see her & my tank healthy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I believe my pleco is looking better! I added the vitamins, waited 5 days, did a WC & then started treatment with the API fin & body cure. There's a little improvement though so good news! I'm going to do a 25% WC tomorrow and continue treatment. 

Her dorsal fin took a bad hit, it started with holes near the base, where it attaches, eventually split in two & just ate away. Her tail & all other fins are fine though.

Normally fin rot would start at the edges and eat it's way towards the base though right? Hers started at the base & worked it's way out- so I think it's bacterial.. Started on her back, then kept moving on to her dorsal fin.

Fingers crossed though!

I've got a question for anyone out there who has successfully medicated & treated fish.. On all these med boxes it says "should see symptoms improve within 5 days," is that true? Because I feel like with some infections it could be weeks before you see improvement especially in severe cases?

• Like 1

With antibiotic medication it can take two full courses of treatment before you start to see any improvement  it also depends on what type of infection it is as to how long the antibiotics take to work with fin rot it usually starts at the edge of the fins it can also start with holes developing in the fin

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:13 AM, Colu said:

With antibiotic medication it can take two full courses of treatment before you start to see any improvement  it also depends on what type of infection it is as to how long the antibiotics take to work with fin rot it usually starts at the edge of the fins it can also start with holes developing in the fin

Very strange, well so good so far, ill post another update later on!

I just completed my 25% WC & the strangest thing happened, the dirty water had a red/purple tinge colored to it. I just searched it up on google & under some Amazon reviews a few other people had it happen as well- but to a much more extensive color like dark brown/purple.

The medication powder is yellow! So that is very weird. My water in the tank had a pinkish hue to it, I really didn't think much of it at first.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Is she pineconing?

No her scales are not pineconing, it's where the infection or fungus was.. It has now become wrinkly/puffy looking. I'm using a medication I haven't previously used, wondering if the meds are causing it. Or maybe it's trying to heal? (It's API fin & Body cure)

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, guys, it's been another month. I treated with the API fin & body cure for 2 rounds & then stopped for few weeks. Her head looks much clearer. The white film and puffiness that was on her head cleared up, BUT there is still a patch, I just compared from the photos above to the photos I took yesterday & it almost looks like the patch move downwards towards her tail.  Her Dorsal fin was badly damaged, but it is no longer white & infected looking. 

Photos I took yesterday:

20220115_223412.jpg

20220115_223400.jpg

20220115_223344.jpg

20220115_223337.jpg

I just checked my account on Imperial Tropicals, I ordered her January 14th of last year. So I'd say she's a little over 1 year old.  she's very small. & been very ill most of the time I've had her. Could being sick have stunted her growth? 

I have another Black/white female BN, whose maybe only 6 months older & she is 3 times her size. But I purchased her at a local store & she has never been sick. 

Being sick can definitely slow/delay or even stunt growth. It looks like she's growing, and as she grows the damage is growing further away from the head?

I second Colu, reduce stress and also provide another potential biofilm food source by adding Indian almond leaves... which have research that validates the claims that IAL provide antifungal and antibacterial properties to safely help fish get healthy. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was 1 remaining Otto in this tank, he passed away, I did not see any symptoms, but he was alone for months. So in this QT tank is now 1 BN, 1 Cory, 3 mollies.

BN looks better. 

The mollies are bright yellow, I kept from a batch of fry last year, because they were exposed to the disease I am now afraid to move them back into the bigger tanks. It's 2 females & 1 male.

The male is starting to look odd, his scales are raised, his father scales were also like this, I've only ever seen this in TWO dominant male molly's. Is it normal? Maybe I should start a new thread? I'm concerned where he has been in this tank since birth, I'm wondering if it's the disease. No bloating or other symptoms. Just raised scales, they are not smooth like the females. He has back spots. The 2 females are mostly orange. Is this cause for concern or just genetics?

20220127_133432.jpg

20220127_133944.jpg

20220127_133945.jpg

20220127_133935.jpg

Pineconing is  cause by Dropsy organ damage such as polycystic kidney disease causes fluid buildup raising the scales or an internal bacterial infection the best treatment is kanaplex in food as that a good antibiotic treatment for kidney disease  and metroplex to treat the water column as it treats aeromonas a common cause of Dropsy and aquarium salt to reduce the fluid buildup

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 4:11 PM, Colu said:

Pineconing is  cause by Dropsy organ damage such as polycystic kidney disease causes fluid buildup raising the scales or an internal bacterial infection the best treatment is kanaplex in food as that a good antibiotic treatment for kidney disease  and metroplex to treat the water column as it treats aeromonas a common cause of Dropsy and aquarium salt to reduce the fluid buildup

Colu, I finished the Kanaplex treatment & no change to the molly. BUT the pleco's tail - all that gunky leftover white stuff has cleared up! I'm so relieved! 😌 This is the first time I've seen her poor body clear of white patches, in what, 6 months?! Amazing. So the API fin & body cure followed up with kanaplex took care of what was left. 

The molly, he is not Quite "pineconing" if you refer to photo #1 up above on my last post, it's like the edges of his scales are spiky & not smooth.

Normally (on the females anyway) their bodily outline is smooth, his is pronounced. I think it looks odd, I only ever keep Females though, I try and remove the males & bring them to my LFS quickly.

There was a very large orange male who sired him & his scales were bulky like that too, so I did not know if this was a trait in males or something else. I've only ever seen it On two large male orange mollies.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:23 PM, Colu said:

good to hear your bristlenose is getting better also I haven't seen a Molly that has been bred to have protruding scales I think it's more than likely Dropsy @MollyMomma

I have never dealt with dropsy before, I've read that salt could help?

Ugh, It could be any number of things causing it - seeing as how this tank & these particular fish have undergone quite the ordeal.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, MollyMomma said:

Ugh, It could be any number of things causing it - seeing as how this tank & these particular fish have undergone quite the ordeal.

An epsom salt bath (I can't remember if Co-op has directions for doing an epsom salt bath or if Irene wrote a blog) uses magnesium as a laxative and to help the kidneys to release the excess fluids.

Check your water quality. 

Check the water quality of your tap water.

If the water isn't good quality, it will come back almost immediately. So frequent, small water changes will be helpful. If the fish are in the tank that you used meds, this is one of those times when using a carbon filter to pull out the meds will be helpful. 

I'll go see if I can find the link for magnesium (epsom salt) baths.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:59 AM, MollyMomma said:

Epsom salt baths will help reduce the fluid buildup 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day and kanaplex in food to treat any possible internal bacterial infections and you can add metroplex to the water column as it treats aeromonas bacteria that can cause Dropsy

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
Added Epsom salt dosage
  • Thanks 1

I can't find the article I was looking for, I did find this on Tankarium.

Personally, I defer to Colu on meds. I have used 1 tsp epsom salt to ½ gallon of tank water, and watch the fish for the entire time. I aerate the container, and if the fish shows any stress, immediately return to the tank.

Typically, if constipation is the cause, the fish will poop within 5 to 10 minutes, and I return to the tank. 

If the kidneys are involved, you may not see a difference. Don't leave the fish in the epsom bath for more than 30 minutes. 

If Colu has different instructions, I would follow those.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both, I will look in my cabinet tomorrow or go to the store & see if there's Epsom salt. The other meds besides kanaplex I may have to order.

It looks so strange! I just sat in front if the tank for 20 minutes during feeding time to try & get more clear photos.

20220206_223542.jpg

20220206_223542(1).jpg

20220206_223207.jpg

20220206_223205.jpg