Calling a SOS need HELP with Sick baby BN Pleco

MollyMomma

I have a 29g planted tank, it only has ottos, corydoras & 1 baby super red BN. After adding new fish this tank broke out with fungal infections. A combo of Kanaplex & API furan-2 knocked it out. But at the end of treatment my pleco started showing signs of something odd on her head.

Ammonia: 0ppm   Nitrates: under 20ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Chlorine: 0ppm.  GH: 150ppm.  Alkalinity(KH) 60ppm PH: 7.6- Temp 76°-78° 

I'm going to upload a photo of the tank & then of her progression. This has happened over the period of 4-6 weeks. I don't know what it is or how to treat it. I keep posting on Fishlore & nobody is responding! & I am starting to be consumed with worry & panic!

the last photos are from today. Is this a parasite, fungus, bacteria? HITH?

20210514_000552.jpg

20210416_191935.jpg

20210419_132908.jpg

20210425_215518.jpg

20210515_231630.jpg

20210515_231541.jpg

20210515_231243.jpg

20210515_231400.jpg

20210515_231154.jpg

It appears to be a fungus problem. I've got something similar going on in one of my tanks. Sometimes an injury gets a fungal infection. I'm treating with API Fungus Cure. For Active Ingredients, it contains: 3 mg Victoria Green B and 30 mg Acriflavine per packet. It stains your water crazy green . . . looks like antifreeze. See photo of a 40 gal breeder treated just this week. Got to act decisively. Your little fella is not looking good. Unless you hear otherwise from more experienced aquarists, take fungus into serious consideration and treat. If you have a QT tank, all the better.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 12.04.12 AM.png

IMG_4247.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fish Folk said:

It appears to be a fungus problem. I've got something similar going on in one of my tanks. Sometimes an injury gets a fungal infection. I'm treating with API Fungus Cure. For Active Ingredients, it contains: 3 mg Victoria Green B and 30 mg Acriflavine per packet. It stains your water crazy green . . . looks like antifreeze. See photo of a 40 gal breeder treated just this week. Got to act decisively. Your little fella is not looking good. Unless you hear otherwise from more experienced aquarists, take fungus into serious consideration and treat. If you have a QT tank, all the better.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 12.04.12 AM.png

IMG_4247.jpg

Thank you for responding! The cories has small bits of fungus on them first. I tried Maracyn with no results. 30 days later treated the cories (the whole tank) with API-Furan2 & kanaplex and it cleared them all up. But then the pleco started getting that spot on her head. I was hoping if it was fungus those meds would have cleaned the pleco up too. I added driftwood & haven't seen her much, then she came out tonight & looked terribly bad.

(I DO have a QT.... It's currently occupied with a new batch of ottos I purchased a 1.5 weeks ago , one of the new ottos was carrying ICH and that QT is being treated with ICH-X right now. ) so im stuck in a bad predicament right now. 

I dont have the meds you mentioned above. I do have some kanaplex and jungle fungus fizz tabs. I may have to order the API fungus cure then.

Okay, so I spoke privately with a pleco specialty member who I reached out to, they said to stay away from any more antibiotics or medicine where I have already ran a few through the tank.

They said something in this tank is a particular stress trigger causing them to get sick, whether it be aggression, food, water quality, other sick newcomers, so we talked and went through some scenarios. 

He said to just keep the water really clean & maybe try to add melafix as an antibacterial but not to use it as a cure-all...

Tonight I saw one of my cories with red patches and raised white areas, also a white line down forehead.

4 cories in this tank, I noticed they have stopped breeding & are corner hiding. I think something is really wrong. 

So pleco has a hole in the head, and now the Cory looks like it has Septicemia or something along with something on forehead. 

WHAT DO I DO?!?!

I ordered the API fungus, is that the correct medication for this? Has not arrived yet. 

20210522_224939.jpg

20210522_225023.jpg

I already used Maracyn in march and it did not help.

Because we had these red spots before.. and in April I had to use API-Furan 2 & added kanaplex in the food & it did clear up the cories, but now its been 1.5 months and its back? 

The API furan is all gone, I have maybe 1/4th bottle of Kanaplex left. And I have Jungle fungus fizz tabs & ICH-X

Could the ICH-X be used as an antibacterial?

Im not sure what is in this tank that makes them become reinfected? 

On 5/23/2021 at 1:15 AM, Colu said:

Ich x will have no effect on bacterial infection Cory can get red blotch disease recommend treatment is a broad spectrum antibiotic kanaplex or furan2 is what I would treat with @MollyMomma

Yes I already did treat this tank with API furan 2 in conjunction with Medicated Kanaplex in the food, and it worked, but now fish are getting the same infections again. I had the above Cory die on Sunday & then this morning another Cory die. Both had red blotches. But the one this morning had an inflamed red vent which is a new symptom. 

This illness has just wiped through my stocking. I have now lost: 5 cories & 5-6 ottos to this red blotch/ fungus looking disease. 

Im going to add a couple photos of the fish who had symptoms (they have all passed) the very first one is of the Cory with a black background in photo. As im looking over these older photos tonight, im noticing his color was not right, he looked yellowey. 

Once this infection present red spots- they die.

On a side note the pleco's head looks better today, starting to look like it's healing. Hopefully this turns around.

I lost my last male Cory today 😞 so that's a real bummer.

20210309_193310.jpg

20210318_105556_HDR.jpg

20210522_224934.jpg

Edited by MollyMomma
Typo

It looks like red blotch disease to me it's common in Cory's he some pics of Cory's with red blotch disease is a bacterial infection as I said recommend treatment is a broad spectrum antibiotic you could try maracyn or maracyn2 they can be used together @MollyMomma

Screenshot_20210526-113622~2.png

Screenshot_20210526-113407~2.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks Colu, it's been a rough time battling this. I lost 2 cories.. So now I only have 2 left. I started treating the tank with Kanaplex again & it's working, so far, I'm starting to wonder if I just can't keep corydoras, I have other tanks, with Livebearers and may just stick to them. I've been talking with other folks- because I'd like to know WHAT causes this. They said it may be copper in the water, so I purchased a couple new testing kits, other reasons mentioned may be: not enough BB space, more oxygen, something wrong with lower level of tank, copper or metal in water, over feeding, dead spots, filter not large enough. So after treatment, I'll see how the fish do. So far so good, but I was told to use Kanamaycin or Tetracyline (sorry I don't know if I spelt those right) because it's spreading internally & causing Septicemia, and he also said that the fish may not make it all. All my other tanks are doing well & thriving. Not sure why such trouble plagues me in the 29g.

Thank you all who have helped.

12 minutes ago, MollyMomma said:

Thanks Colu, it's been a rough time battling this. I lost 2 cories.. So now I only have 2 left. I started treating the tank with Kanaplex again & it's working, so far, I'm starting to wonder if I just can't keep corydoras, I have other tanks, with Livebearers and may just stick to them. I've been talking with other folks- because I'd like to know WHAT causes this. They said it may be copper in the water, so I purchased a couple new testing kits, other reasons mentioned may be: not enough BB space, more oxygen, something wrong with lower level of tank, copper or metal in water, over feeding, dead spots, filter not large enough. So after treatment, I'll see how the fish do. So far so good, but I was told to use Kanamaycin or Tetracyline (sorry I don't know if I spelt those right) because it's spreading internally & causing Septicemia, and he also said that the fish may not make it all. All my other tanks are doing well & thriving. Not sure why such trouble plagues me in the 29g.

Thank you all who have helped.

This explains in more detail about red blotch disease

Screenshot_20210602-160248~2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I guess that explains why the 4 cories & 3 ottos I purchased online had it- I ordered them from Florida & had them overnight shipped, but then it spread to all my older stocking- that's the part that I'm trying to understand. 

On 6/2/2021 at 11:19 AM, MollyMomma said:

then it spread to all my older stocking- that's the part that I'm trying to understand. 

Once a disease has a good foothold in one organism, it can more easily spread to the others. So even though your old fish didn’t undergo the stress of shipping, once the bacteria had built up in your new stressed fish, it became strong enough to infect the old fish, too.

I’m so sorry you’re losing so many fish over this. 😞 I hope things clear up soon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Once a disease has a good foothold in one organism, it can more easily spread to the others. So even though your old fish didn’t undergo the stress of shipping, once the bacteria had built up in your new stressed fish, it became strong enough to infect the old fish, too.

I’m so sorry you’re losing so many fish over this. 😞 I hope things clear up soon.

Thanks, I re-dose with kanaplex (I used this once a few months ago) and today was my last dose and thankfully the 2 last cories are looking better & becoming active. I ordered a nano sponge filter, im going to add it to the tank & try to increase BB area. My filter is leaving "dead" spots in the back 2 corners. I think im going to turn this tank into a Platy tank Down the road because I've just lost all my cories. It's sad, I hate losing fish, makes me feel so helpless.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I updated this 13-14 days ago. I think the pleco looks much better!! Her head has healed up quite a bit..But I'm still not out of the woods yet. Two cories left and one still looks poorly even after treating with meds. 

I'm going to upload a few photos, maybe you all can help me figure out what is still going on. The pleco looks better. 1 Cory looks okay- but her barbels are much shorter than they were a few months ago. The 2cd Cory's barbels are eroding (she had a red/white spot on mouth but kanaplex helped) and now she has also developed a white spot on her backside--- which I thought was a common symptom with like columnaris? But if it was shouldn't of the meds cleared that up to? 

I spent a small fortune on freshwater fish disease books & remedies by J.Noga, Dieter Untergasser & others.. Everything I'm coming across with matching symptoms was (in the books) from fungus or organic pollution. I added the extra sponge filter, I removed driftwood & baked it in the sun, added new sponge & ceramic rings. I stopped using liquid fertilizers. I added the Clip-on UV sterilizer. Also in the books it says to use malachite green or Formalin baths OR prolonged submersion, so I'm on the verge on trying ICH-X.

(I have tried Maracyn, API-Furan 2, medicated food & TWO rounds of kanaplex now over the last 5-6 months & I just don't know what's left to do or why I cant get rid of this disease! Unless it's a bug, parasite, flukes or something & the symptoms popping up are secondary infections.. I just have no idea)

20210608_135531.jpg

20210612_212644.jpg

20210612_212514.jpg

• Like 1

The pleco- the "hole in her head" that JUST healed up looks good- but it started as a small white bump. She has 2 new white areas on her, the corydora also still has the white bump as well.. And the other Cory looks bad. Her stomach looks sunken in. And now her underside looks red. 

What should I do now? I posted on another forum a few days ago & nobody has responded. (Except to ask a unrelated question) Should I remove the plants, driftwood, rocks, and try another medication? 

I'm at a loss. I have no idea how to eradicate this problem. Symptoms now are small white raised areas, 1 Cory looks thin, both have barbell erosion, one's underside is red, corner hiding except when feeding. Some flashing. The Cory in photo up above is pale.

20210621_211900.jpg

20210621_211853.jpg

20210619_220023.jpg

20210619_220203.jpg

Edited by MollyMomma
  • Sad 2

On 6/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, Colu said:

I would leave plants and driftwood in your tank  as you have tried multiple antibiotic medication I treat with api Triple sulfa  is the Cory that losing weight still ok @MollyMomma

Which one is the triple sulfa? Is it like the general cure? 

The thin Cory - I've had for 1.5 years and she's always been healthy, plump, with long barbels. It's very disheartening to see her look so bad since being added to this tank. She looks sick, but she's eating & hanging in there.

On 6/22/2021 at 3:29 AM, MollyMomma said:

Which one is the triple sulfa? Is it like the general cure? 

The thin Cory - I've had for 1.5 years and she's always been healthy, plump, with long barbels. It's very disheartening to see her look so bad since being added to this tank. She looks sick, but she's eating & hanging in there.

triple sulfa it's an anti bacterial med that has three active ingredient sodium sulfathiazole sodium sulfamethazine sodium sulfacetamide it's affective against hemorrhage septicemia cotton mouth disease gill disease fin tail rot  cloudy eye 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

I just want to jump in and say that whatever you’re battling is definitely outside of what’s normal for aquarium fish. Which is to say—you’re doing everything you can and if things don’t work out, it’s not your fault. ❤️

• Love 1