Bristlenose breeding-How big of a tank do I need?

James V.

Hi James,

20 gallon long is good.  My original breeders are in a 10 gallon and breed no problem.  The one thing I would caution is to watch the # of adult males in one tank.  In my experience, tanks smaller than a 40 breeder in foot print will result in the dominant male killing off a rival.  This is just my experience. 🙂

Good luck and please share pics!

Okay THANK YOU for your advice everyone AWSOME!

58 minutes ago, Randy said:

Hi James,

20 gallon long is good.  My original breeders are in a 10 gallon and breed no problem.  The one thing I would caution is to watch the # of adult males in one tank.  In my experience, tanks smaller than a 40 breeder in foot print will result in the dominant male killing off a rival.  This is just my experience. 🙂

Good luck and please share pics!

I Should only do a pair in that size a tank right? Can any other fish be put in the tank too? What about other bottom dwelling fish?

im a long way from ready to put fish in the tank, so no pictures for a while lol

Edited by James V.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, James V. said:

Okay THANK YOU for your advice everyone AWSOME!

I Should only do a pair in that size a tank right? Can any other fish be put in the tank too?

im a long way from ready to put fish in the tank, so no pictures for a while lol

Honestly bro you can add some other fish like guppy’s or something not aggressive but If you want it to just be them breeding then you can just do that but if you want to help the tank  cycle faster get Fritz zyme seven or turbostart 700 will help out big time and you can add the fish just keep a eye on the parameters 

• Like 1

In my experience you could breed them in a breeder box lol they really just need a pair that like each other and a cave to go in. If you want to keep them long term I would do a minimum of a ten so a 20 will work great. I had some good success pulling the cave a few days after spawning and dumping the wrigglers into a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter to grow out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

In my experience you could breed them in a breeder box lol they really just need a pair that like each other and a cave to go in. If you want to keep them long term I would do a minimum of a ten so a 20 will work great. I had some good success pulling the cave a few days after spawning and dumping the wrigglers into a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter to grow out

Thank you so much for your experience with this!

I am currently planning this 20g-long Tank out so I’m wondering if you think it would be possible to add a pair of Apistos in the same tank as the pair of Bristlenose? Or do I have to get them there own tanks? In my mind It doesn’t seem doable to put them in the same tank, but while I’m here it wont hurt to ask.

2 minutes ago, James V. said:

Thank you so much for your experience with this!

I am currently planning this 20g-long Tank out so I’m wondering if you think it would be possible to add a pair of Apistos in the same tank as the pair of Bristlenose? Or do I have to get them there own tanks? In my mind It doesn’t seem doable to put them in the same tank, but while I’m here it wont hurt to ask.

I’ve heard apistos get territorial when they breeding so might not be a good idea in a 20 long but honestly you can try and see 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, James V. said:

I think it would be doable you would have to have another tank for fry to grow out I think. But is you put some good line of sight blockers in the middle of the tank and put your pleco cave on one side and your apisto cave on the other. in this picture you can see the rocks in the center and swimming space on both sides if you give them both their own space in the tank I will help and you will have a higher chance of success 

8E3899F6-BB13-4187-B6B8-46FEF164132A.jpeg

• Like 1

A 20 long would be great for a pair. I kept pairs in both 20 long and highs and no issues. Are you planning to let the babies just grow out in the tank with the parents or will you be pulling them and growing out in another tank? Either way will be fine, you'll just have to watch filtration and water changes to keep water parameters in check. Good luck with the breeding project!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

I think it would be doable you would have to have another tank for fry to grow out I think. But is you put some good line of sight blockers in the middle of the tank and put your pleco cave on one side and your apisto cave on the other. in this picture you can see the rocks in the center and swimming space on both sides if you give them both their own space in the tank I will help and you will have a higher chance of success 

8E3899F6-BB13-4187-B6B8-46FEF164132A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

A 20 long would be great for a pair. I kept pairs in both 20 long and highs and no issues. Are you planning to let the babies just grow out in the tank with the parents or will you be pulling them and growing out in another tank? Either way will be fine, you'll just have to watch filtration and water changes to keep water parameters in check. Good luck with the breeding project!

Thank you guys for your advice! I was planning of pulling the fry, so it sounds like this might work thanks.

ps. I watched the Aquarium Co-ops live stream and when Cory went to the forum (17:34) ,this topic was under the “Current topic” section lol 😂 it was amazing.

Edited by James V.