Cloudy Sand

4 minutes ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

Just set up my first aquarium! I have quiet a bit of cloudiness from the sand and was wondering if I should let it settle or should I put the sponge filter in? I don't know if the sponge filter will help or not. 

Most will settle eventually. What kind of sand? Did you prewash it? Sponge filter will help clear out particulates, but will also increase flow in the tank.

Just now, Tyler LaZerte said:

@Fish Folk Pool Filter Sand. I prewashed it very well but I accidentally started filling on the sand and it was bad news from there haha. I poured the water off of a rock in the aquarium to help but it didn't do much. 

It will settle fast. I’d put the sponge in and wait 24-48 hrs. 

3 hours ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

@Fish Folk Pool Filter Sand. I prewashed it very well but I accidentally started filling on the sand and it was bad news from there haha. I poured the water off of a rock in the aquarium to help but it didn't do much. 

I've had good luck using pie plates while filling tanks to prevent this. I used to try and sort of bounce the water off hardscape, but as you found, it's never quite as easy as imagined. I'd second just letting it settle out. Fish won't care about a bit of debris floating around, assuming you're looking to stock the tank sooner rather than later.

• Like 1